RiverMan

Plastic Lumber

A long time ago, some here were experimenting with a plastic lumber used for building road signs as I recall. Does anyone remember what it's called, where you can buy it? I had someone send me a piece and I tried it but want to try it again. I have tried the PVC at HD and its so soft it won't work for what I'm wanting. Thanks

RM

Maybe Trex?

Trex will sink like a rock.

I use AZEK decking and trimboard.  The decking is a little heavier and stronger, and it's about as buoyant as poplar.  It's what I use for jointed swim baits, and two piece rats.  Anything with a joint.

The trimboard is as buoyant as med. balsa, and works great for cranks, wake baits, and any one piece lure.

There are a variety of PVC trimboards and deckings on the market now, so you can probably find something that will work for you at Lowe's or some other home improvement store.

RM, what are you using it for?

Edited by mark poulson

Cutting boards are usually HDPE these days. You can buy thicker pieces from some of the restaurant supply outfits like Tundra. I use the thinner pieces to make things like standoffs and mounting brackets for circuit boards all the time. Thicker pieces I use for all kinds of plastic parts. It machines really nice and really fast if match your feed and speed with a good sharp endmill. There is another product called PVC foam board that isn't quite as strong that some guys I know use the same places I use HDPE. Also machines nicely.

• Like 1

RM,

I've also made large jointed swimbaits, 12"+, with AZEK decking.  And smaller 7" four piece baits with their trim board.

Home Depot doesn't stock either, but you can order it through their online store, and have it delivered to your local store, free, for you to pick up.

I used to get it through my local lumber yard, but I moved, and haven't tried to do that up here yet.

I am able to make thicker pieces by gluing thinner pieces together with either plumber's PVC primer and glue, or super glue, for smaller stuff.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

Sintra may be what I was thinking of. Thanks for all the replies guys.

JR, I am looking at about a 16 inch baits. The PVC board here comes in 3/4 inch thickness, shapes like a dream but it's so soft it makes me nervous.

Mark, I will look into the azek

BobP, thanks.

Edited by RiverMan