Briant

Winter Time Hard Swimbait Ideas?

Thinking about hard swimbaits for winter time. Im thinking about a sinking hard swimbait that can be retrieved pretty slow and has subtle action. I have seen hard swimbaits with a huddleston swimbait type tail which is something i might start tinkering with when i make my own. Anyone have any ideas of good winter time swimbaits?

It depends, if you just want the tail to flap around a little bit or do you want the whole lure to 'swim'.

Swim baits look like they must be very difficult, but actually, the success rate is very high.

Dave

This is true. I have gotten into bait making recently and swimbaits are the most fun to make. All my swimbaits i have made so far are satisfactoy. Ill post a picture when i get the chance. Thanks for giving your 2 cents! Edited by Briant

Actually, the idea of swimbaits intrigues me. I'm currently experimenting with different materials to make these. They look so good in the water! If done right, they could swim slowly enough to work in winter. I would love to know if you can get something to work, gonna be a long winter:(

Yes you will find that they are relatively easy to make and with a little research on this website you should be all set. I love using PVC board its so easy to use when you compare it to wood. It will make your lure making experience much less stressfull - TRUST ME :). Ill be sure to show you what i have made when i get around to it. Thanks for chimming in

If you want that sexy S-shaped glide, you need at least a 3 piece, better a 4 piece lure. The video from 1'55" shows my favorite swimbait that I made:

Dave

Wow i remember coming across your videos a long long time ago! It was before i even thought of making lures! It looks fantastic sir. Thanks for the advice ill be sure to keep that in mind! Thank you

pictures in the forums are only to aid in asking or answering questions

we'd love to see your swimbaits in the gallery... just click the upload button at the top of the hard baits gallery... chose file, upload, review and edit (this is where you can type your description)

if using a mobile device (like me) youll have to switch to full version

I'm pretty sure I could duplicate+- the Huddleston tail and attach it to a hard swimbait, but I don't think it's worth the effort.  For me, jointed swimbaits are a warmer water bait.

Because fish are cold blooded, and the cold water of winter slows down their metabolism, a slower, less active swimming motion probably seems more natural to a predator.  I know I get bit on slow moving stuff in the winter, instead of burning a bait.  That retrieve has to wait until prespawn in late winter/spring.

It's really hard to get the low speed stable body/swimming tail action that a Huddleston has with a hard bait.  I've tried.  The closest I've come is with a glide bait that just barely sinks, so I can swim it slowly.

I use a  Huddleston ROF 5, or another slow sink soft plastic bait, in the cold water months, if I'm fishing swimbaits.  As long as the stripers will stay away from them, I can get multiple fish on the same swimbait.

And I really don't fish near the surface much in the winter.  I'm usually fishing the bottom in deeper water, with a top hook swimbait, so I can drag it along the bottom.

pictures in the forums are only to aid in asking or answering questions

we'd love to see your swimbaits in the gallery... just click the upload button at the top of the hard baits gallery... chose file, upload, review and edit (this is where you can type your description)

if using a mobile device (like me) youll have to switch to full version

Ill keep that in mind! Thank you for clearing that up for me

Cheers

I'm pretty sure I could duplicate+- the Huddleston tail and attach it to a hard swimbait, but I don't think it's worth the effort. For me, jointed swimbaits are a warmer water bait.

Because fish are cold blooded, and the cold water of winter slows down their metabolism, a slower, less active swimming motion probably seems more natural to a predator. I know I get bit on slow moving stuff in the winter, instead of burning a bait. That retrieve has to wait until prespawn in late winter/spring.

It's really hard to get the low speed stable body/swimming tail action that a Huddleston has with a hard bait. I've tried. The closest I've come is with a glide bait that just barely sinks, so I can swim it slowly.

I use a Huddleston ROF 5, or another slow sink soft plastic bait, in the cold water months, if I'm fishing swimbaits. As long as the stripers will stay away from them, I can get multiple fish on the same swimbait.

And I really don't fish near the surface much in the winter. I'm usually fishing the bottom in deeper water, with a top hook swimbait, so I can drag it along the bottom.

Yeah i figured hard baits arent really subtle or a winter time bait :/. Perhaps it wouldn't necessarily be a winter time bait but the idea does interest me. I might just mess around with it anyways and ill show you all what i come up with. Thanks for your insight!

Swimbaits are one of my go to lures in cold weather.  I have caught fish when you had to keep busting the ice out of your guides on every cast.  That being said I am fishing for northern strain largemouth and smallies.  You want to make a swimbait that will sit on its own hooks at rest without falling over.  The least amount of action your swimbait has in cold water the better.  I simply cast it out and let it sink to the bottom then very gently pull it a couple of feet and then let it sit back on the bottom, eat a snack, and then repeat.  Works very well with soft and hard swimbaits.

• Like 1

Dave,

The amazing thing about Huddleston 8" trout swimbaits is how little forward motion is needed to get the tail moving.

Plus they look so real on fall that big bass follow them down, and eat they as they are dragged slowly along the bottom, like a dying trout.

There are others that do the same thing.  I used to drag Ospreys and Optimum swimbaits, and let their belly treble catch and stick, and then release, causing a kind of a stuttering retrieve along the bottom, with short bursts as they released.  It was the best retrieve for late winter/early spring.  

Of course, I had to change the through line treble a couple of times a day, because the rocks dulled them pretty quickly.  The top hook baits, like the Huddleston ROF 12 and 16, don't have that problem.

Check out this link, where a Huddleston is disected:

http://www.tackletour.com/autopsyhudd.html

Edited by mark poulson

The Hud is a good design. I tried to design a soft swimmer for a customer. The weight distribution and the foam ended up very similar to the Hud, so I wasn't comfortable about that. But, I know how much work went into that design, to get the balance and the vertical stability.

Dave

Swimbaits are one of my go to lures in cold weather. I have caught fish when you had to keep busting the ice out of your guides on every cast. That being said I am fishing for northern strain largemouth and smallies. You want to make a swimbait that will sit on its own hooks at rest without falling over. The least amount of action your swimbait has in cold water the better. I simply cast it out and let it sink to the bottom then very gently pull it a couple of feet and then let it sit back on the bottom, eat a snack, and then repeat. Works very well with soft and hard swimbaits.

Thanks for the tips. Ill keep that in mind when im making my lures. Infact the one im making right now has a nice subtle action ;) i just cant get the balancing right;(. Thanks for the input :)

Hi again guys. I want to update you all on what how far i have gotten. This is a 5 inch prototype made from pvc. Its really rough and not sanded down well but thats kind of how all my lures are lol. Notice the tail. It is a wedge shape similar to a huddleston. I tested the lure out this morning and it really does look like a spy bait (robn510 mentioned spybaits) and the tail provides a tiny little wag. Any critiques would be welcome. Now the question i have is, does the tail provide enough wag or too little? Im going to make a bigger tail and test it out to see the difference. Peace all