Today i painted my very first lure and it was an old beat up Hot n Tot that i found when i was fishing and I removed the remaining paint and decided to paint it today and without having much airbrushing experience i went with a firetiger pattern and I am really happy with the way it turned out. now to add some epoxy and clear it and add some hooks but i just wanted to share my first lure with you guys! If you guys have any tips that could be useful for me with painting lures feel free to post them all help is appreciated. Thanks!

20151207_163533.jpg

20151207_163533.jpg

20151207_163533.jpg

20151207_163533.jpg

20151207_163533.jpg

20151207_163533.jpg

20151207_163533.jpg

20151207_163533.jpg

post-48629-0-11032500-1449530302_thumb.jpg

Not bad for the first try at all.  I would be happy with the results.  I will point out a few things.  First looks like a little better bait prep could give you a better paint surface.  Get rid of the imperfections and you will get a cleaner paint job for sure.  I would also tape or clean up the bill as well just seams appropriate for a Hot n Tot.   :lolhuh:   If you look at your stripes I say over-spray is your main issue.  I would lay a stencil flat on the bait and be sure to get a consistent smooth spray. You will get much crisper patterns and also avoid muddying up other areas with darker or lighter over-spray.  Practice on feed rate, air pressure, paint consistency and you can spray without needing stencils as much.   It looks like you let some paint build up (not bad) by some of the larger specks and is something that will disappear the more you paint.

Nice job, but this forum isn't for sharing photos of baits, unless it's to illustrate a point, or ask for specific advice.

You really should post your lure photos in the Hard Baits Gallery, and then include a link to them with your posts here.

Just a heads up, not meant as a "shame on you" deal at all.

I hope you understand.

@Brettsky225 - Please understand that nobody was trying to put a damper on your excitement.

Your enthusiasm is great and it's always good to see new lure painters get excited :)

Pics of lures can be posted here in the forums if it's for a specific purpose. For example, if you're working on something and don't know how to accomplish a specific task, you can post a pic and ask for advice and help with it.

If you've developed a new way of doing something and want to demonstrate it, you can share that with a pic or video also.

The reason we do it this way is to keep the forums from getting cluttered with a lot of photos of everyone's latest lure paint job.

Keep up the great work and we look forward to seeing your next lure, posted in the gallery!

• Like 3