Paden22

Tails For Hard Bodied Swimbaits

Hey guys, this is my first post.  I am currently making custom wood swimbaits that are hand cut and hand sanded.  I'm going back and forth on what material I should use for the tail.  What is the most durable, cost effective, and easy way to construct a tail?  Options I've considered are: hair, lexan (seems tough to cut), soft plastic, or a rubber.  Wanted to hear your thoughts.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

post-48631-0-89576900-1449590451_thumb.jpg

For me, the most effective replaceable tails are soft plastic (plastisol) tails that are "screwed" onto a coiled sst wire that is embedded in the back of the tail section.  I made a pop mold of two sizes of tails that I took off of other soft swimbaits, and it works.

I've also used the harder clear plastic from margarine tub tops, slipped into a slot in the tail section, and held in with super glue.  I used to pin them, but I found the tails hold fine with just the super glue, if you roughen the part that slips into the tail first, for a better grip.  By not using pins, when the tail gets worn or broken, it's easier to replace.

I've even used plano box dividers on split rings, and they work, too.

I've found the soft plastic tail is the most effective in colder and clearer water with slow retrieves.  Because they are soft, they also act as an additional section when they are retrieved, and, for surface baits that are dead sticked, the tails wave as the bait sits still, which is a natural look.

For warmer water, the harder tails work fine, since there is enough speed on the retrieve to get them moving.

Edited by mark poulson

On some large musky lures, I add a soft plastic tail. I made a plaster of paris mold of the tail and made the mold so that I could push the lure body up to the mold and pour the plastic into the 1/2" inch hole bored in the end of the lure. That would attach the tail to the lure body and does a nice job of holding the tail to the lure body. It is a large version of the Shallow Invader and I used a factory replacement tail for the pattern. I've raised nine muskies on this lure but haven't caught one yet.

• Like 1