CheCT

Switch To Alumiuv Or Keep Using Epoxy?

Trying to decide if it's worth making the switch from the current epoxy I'm using to AlumiUV.

The time savings are obvious but is it really worth the extra cash?

The current epoxy I'm using runs about $1.75 an ounce AlumiUV runs over $3 an ounce plus UV lighting equipment.

Input from the guys that are using the ALumiUV would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the questions I have

My plan is to run a wheel. Is that doable while keeping the cure times reasonable

What kind of set up you running & hows the cure time?

Hows the durability? I'm doing a lot of custom painting, mainly musky lures so durability is a big concern

Thanks. 

I've never used AlumiUV but have tried Solarez UV cured polyester resin and I'm thinking the AlumiUV is similar.  Solarez sells for around $25 per quart, so it's much cheaper but it also has some qualities that make it less than ideal for topcoating baits.  Durability isn't one - it seems as durable and as thick as an epoxy topcoat.  Before taking the plunge, I'd ask if the AlumiUV uses a wax additive to cause the topcoat's surface to harden.  If so, you may have problems with a white wax blush on the topcoat.  Note that Solarez and many other UV cured polyester resins will also cure quickly when exposed to sunlight.  I use Solarez to undercoat wood lures.  Brush it on, let it level out on my drying wheel for a few minutes, then sit the wheel out in the driveway for 10-15 minutes to cure hard.  It will also cure under a UV salon nail light, which are inexpensive on Ebay or Amazon.  Cure time under strong UV lighting is 2-3 minutes.

• Like 2

I also use Solarez.  I like it for baits where a thicker coating won't affect buoyancy, like bigger PVC baits.

I only notice the slight hazing on a black or very dark bait.  Otherwise, it's fine, and quick.

I can make a bait, paint it, top coat it, and fish it the same day, if I get a bug up my butt.  That doesn't seem to happen as often as it used to!

• Like 1

Ive tried solarez twice over the past 3 years. I have to be honest, when ive sealed my lures with it i accidentally dropped a few, and the solarez cracks. I sit in a chair when I sand them, so they have only falled a couple feet.

Ned, I stopped the cracking by putting a piece of carpet down in my work area.  Hahaha

Seriously, I haven't had that happen, but I haven't done the concrete floor drop test....yet.

Well Ive tried 3 different solarez products and all crack on short drops in my garage. But I still use it, I just seal my baits with super glue first. After the ca glue I dip the lure twice in the polyester sanding sealer. It dries dry and rock hard. Then I paint the lure and top coat it with kbs diamond. The polyester clear gloss, and polyester epoxy do not seem to dry rock hard so Ive stopped using them. However it is currently 15 degrees and I dip in my garage, so Im guessing that is the main issue!

Yes those are the same issues i had with it. I wish i could help you guys with the new product but nobody at Solarez will as much as return a call now. I don't understand the business model of doing that to your customers but it is what it is. I'm working on 2 other UV suppliers to try to get another product. I'll keep trying!

• Like 1

Fish Pirate,

I was finally able to talk with Gary this evening. Nice guy, slam FULL of information, but he never gave up any details or a name for the unmarked "stuff" you speak of. I point blank ask him twice during our 15 minute conversation, and he steered clear of an answer?

By the way, I'm not sure if I've mentioned it or not, but I custom paint Clear crankbait blanks, not wood. I'm not sure if that would matter or not? I wouldn't think so as a "topcoat".

I talked to someone at solarez yesterday too. The guy never gave me his name and to be honest seemed kinda dodgy. I was asking some pretty specific info so I could compare things to what I currently use. And also about his recommendations.

He basically said, polyester, Fly tying stuff and the new custom formula. Which he gave me almost no info about other than its better and a price per gallon. I did get an email address but no name.

Hard to do business with someone that seems to be hiding something.

If that's the cracking you get when the solarez is dropped I'm not interested anyway. It would never stand up to a long day of casting......

I've managed to track down a couple more manufacturers of uv cured products.

I've got a sample on the way. I'll keep ya posted with what happens with it.

Oh as far as alumiUV goes after calling and getting quoted a price of $296 a gallon there's just no way.