Lipz

Klear Kote (Brand Name) For Top Coat. Anyone?

Sorry guys, I've been a 'lurker' for quiet some time here, and low and behold, my first post is about one of the top repeated subjects. Sorry. B)  At least I searched the forum for the subject with only one result that offered no information.

Does anyone use, or have previously used "Klear Kote" for topcoating plastic lures? If so, how does it perform versus D2 and other topcoats? Drying time, durability, etc.

I know that it's been used for years on various tables, clocks and such, and is known to be clear, hard, and scratch resistent. Economically priced at $86 shipped for 2 gallons (.33¢ / ounce). http://www.creativewholesale.com/ProductDetail/tabid/174/ProductID/1290/Default.aspx

I've never used it or read of anyone using it on TU.  It appears to be a "bar top" epoxy, so should be similar to Envirotex Lite epoxy which is sold in pint bottles at craft stores.  You should know that bar top aka decoupage epoxies usually contain solvent which makes the epoxy flow out better on a flat surface but also slows the cure time down considerably and requires you to rotate a lure for several hours after application, compared to about 1 hour rotation for glue type epoxies (e.g. Devcon Two Ton, etc).  It may require 2 or more coats to acquire the same thickness as a glue type epoxy.  I'd also be concerned about buying any epoxy in a large volume for use on crankbaits.  The hardener can degrade in about a year or so, causing problems with curing and yellowing of the finish.  Bottom line for me is that I'd want to test a small quantity of any epoxy before springing for gallons.

Edited by BobP
  • Like 1

x2 on large amounts of epoxy unless you know you will be using that much in a short time. I wish they would put a manufactured or packaged date on the packages so that you know how old the epoxy is. I always try and find the clearest, least yellow(fresh) packages the store has. I believe it does make a difference. When the hardener starts getting more yellow colored it does not seem to work quite the same. Just my 2cents

Full cure is however long it takes for all chemical reaction between the resin and hardener to cease.  But it is not a linear reaction, most occurring in the first 24 hrs or less of the cure process.  If your epoxy is 95% cured in 24 hrs, it may take many days for that final 5% to take place.  Practically, I don't hesitate to fish a lure topcoated with Devcon the following day and have never had any problem doing that.  I might give a lure coated with ETEX an extra day.   

Concrete reaches it's designed strength in one to three days, depending on the mix specs.  

Specialty mixes can reach it much more quickly, but it makes placement of large amounts of concrete impractical at that curing rate.

However, it doesn't cure out completely for 100 years+-, at which time it begins to decompose.

That's probably why it's not a very good material for lure making.

• Like 1