Lipz

Alumi-Uv - How Far Does It Go?

If it's sticky it ain't done cooking. Any UV product that you can smell or is tacky needs more cure. Sometimes I have some get in between the jaws of my forceps and not get light and you will get a whif of it. All uv products once fully cured become inert after curing I'm told by the manufacturers.

I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure I'm getting a good cure, if I don't touch it for a while I can handle it and it feels fine, but if I hold it in my hand for a minute or so the surface blush gets sticky. This is with the polyester resin though. I tried curing with MEK and had the same thing happen so eventually I just got used to it. I emailed Solarez about this and they said it was due to the polyester stuff being meant as a base coat and the blush gave your topcoat or paint something to stick to. I will know for sure once I get some non polyester stuff to try.

I have other polyester resins that smell even after curing. Only polishing will get the smell out. I think it is just one characteristic of that kind of resin.

I usually mix up 2 cc of epoxy for each bass sized bait I'm topcoating (1 cc each of resin and hardener). A little more if i'm doing only one bait, and I slightly thin the mix with denatured alcohol. You want to err on the side of mixing too much if there is any doubt. Nothing worse than topcoating a bait and finding out you didn't mix enough. And scraping out the last bit of epoxy from the bottom of the container is where you find the stuff that should have been mixed better, if there is any.

• Like 3