cavu

Shaping Foam Bodies?

Anyone have any advise on how to shape foam bodies to make bass bugs? I found a couple of interesting pieces of foam left over from the construction of a utility building and thought they would make fine bug bodies. Using scissors to shape the bodies does not leave a smooth finished product. I know the fish don't care, but I would like a more professional looking finish. Anyone got ideas?

foam_bug.jpg

foam_bug.jpg

foam_bug.jpg

foam_bug.jpg

foam_bug.jpg

foam_bug.jpg

foam_bug.jpg

foam_bug.jpg

886_thumb.attach

Cavu, try rough shaping with scissors or razor blade, then with emery boards, like those used for fingernails. They come in a large size (about 7-8 inches long X 1 inch wide) with various grits, and the board backing makes them easy to use.

Also you might try mounting the foam in a Dremel tool or drill for shaping, which will give you a symmetrical body. However it will also give you a body with a hole in the center. When I use this method, especially with soft foams, I cut a slit in the bottom for the hook, and insert a worm rattle in the hole, then epoxy the body to the hook, filing the holes with epoxy. A final over coat of epoxy makes them very durable, and helps transmit the rattle noise.