topwatersniper

Lure Giveaway?

I'm not looking to sell at this time. My giving baits to others is to multiple my knowledge, to how well I'm doing with the design and if the person is happy more the better. That's why I gave some to friends who knows about fishing.

I have been asked to make some for a auction for a charity. I'm not keen about that yet. I'm not confident yet about my work. So I agree with Travis, I bought from a guy who always made me good baits. He has a good reputation and he just paints or makes baits now. The word will spread with time and good work.

Dale

I have handed out some stuff yes, but I have not asked for feedback. They come back, asking when I am going to make more, so I guess they work.

The big problem is that even very experienced fishermen know very little about lure design, and so what feedback can you expect to get, other than yes I caught fish or no it didn't catch fish.

If the lure report comes back negative, he may well have thrown it 3 times and then changed it out. If you ask, he will tell you that he threw it for an hour, too embarrassed to tell you anything different.

The fisherman just wants to throw the bait, he does not want to work for it. The best feedback is when he asks you for more, THEN you can ask him about the lure; how did it cast, how did it swim, how many bites, how many catches, any followers, how did you fish it, and more. Now he has to pay with feedback before he can get any more.

Dave

I don't spend nearly enough time in the hard bait section because......quite frankly.......you guys are so talented it scares me!  lol

Having said that, after being into soft plastics for years, I can tell you this pretty much falls in the same category.  I gave away thousands of baits and it created little to no return for me.  As Travis said, if your product is good enough, you WILL sell it! 

• Like 2

No it's not Sniper. Find people who will honestly throw them. People who knows how a bait should run, colors for different types of water clarity, how to tune a bait without throwing to the side, etc.

These people will let you know if nothing else is to change design (weight,etc.). You will make that decision, but you must listen carefully. In the long run these people is your advertisement. Especially if they are known for fishing in your area.

Keep the give away to people you trust. These people will pass the word if you make a good product. However it can take some time. Everything up to selling I'm doing, the selling is just from other experiences. The quality of your product is the key and staying with it. Also having fun while doing it.

Take Care,

Dale

I have a plan for next season... Theres a pond... Nay... A eutopia! In my neighborhood that i fished 3 years ago

It is/was by far the greatest water ive ever wet a line in!... One particular trip, my 2 boys went thru 4 dozen minnows in less than 2 hours, caught more juvenile bass than they could count and went home with a stringer full of crappie... That same day i landed two 5 lb bass and one weighing almost 7 (still my pb) on a Roboworm (love that bait!)

The water is public, owned by the county (flood prevention pond) but the land surrounding it is private, controlled by the homeowners.... Unfortunately, one of the residents had all his gear stolen from his boat right in his back yard.... After that, they put up a gate blocking the drive and locked it

Such a shame!... This little gem would be a fantastic lure testing facility!.... I have devised 2 plans

Plan A)..... Buy a helicopter... Remember, the water is public, i just cant cross their land to reach it

Plan B)..... Bribe.... Ive met this guy several times, he always came down to the water when he saw me out there.. Not to chat, just to let me know he was watching.. Understandable, it is his home... I went to his door once after the gate went up to ask permission, i was denied....... But i had nothing to offer in return

I have my doubts about plan A... Ive never flown a helicopter before... So im hoping plan B will work.......... Just have to decide what lures make a good bribe??? Any suggestions??

• Like 1

I give lures away all the time for testing but I only have a few guys that get the free baits to test.   The give me solid feedback each time and will test the baits multiple times in different conditions.   I don't give free baits to just anybody because you will never get the info that you are seeking. 

There used to be a couple places like that on our river, until some jerks shot up the place and vandalized everything.  The farmers who owned the land surrounding the river had no choice but to close it up to EVERYONE.......including those of us who actually cared about the property.  Sad.  Very sad. 

• Like 1

Charity and fundraiser donations work on a local basis, but you have to take steps to make sure your name is noticed.  There is no guarantee that the company making the donation will be mentioned.  

I've noticed at many club auctions and raffles there will be thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) of dollars in prizes and nobody takes any effort to mentioned where they came from.  

However in a community where business owners know who each other are (although they may not personally all know each other) they remember who was there and supported the things they care about.  When I donated some rods to the local high school team I learned how to make and apply water slide decals saying they were provided by CNC Molds N Stuff.  Every time those rods are picked up and used they will see my name.  None of those kids is going to have me make a custom mold any time soon, but fishermen talk.  Maybe the high school teacher who is the sponsor for the club, or one of the mentors for the club will see it.  If they also happen to know who I am then I may get a referral when somebody says, "I wish I could make..."

Individuals who are not community organizers and/or business owners I think are much less likely to notice and remember, but they might.   The main thing is to give away what you can afford, and give it places you would support anyway.  Friends are ok to give a little.  I say a little because my definition of a friend is much different than most folks.  My "friends" can have baits off my bench for the asking, but I only have a handful of people I consider friends.  Buddy's and fishing associates have to give to get.  Information, invites, etc.  

• Like 1

i give alot of baits away...ALOT... and it works out good for me...i ask for the used stuff so its not dumped in the lakes...the madd dads are hot  alot of guys ask for them...i get baits left on the end of my dock and have found a big gal.zip loc in the mail box.....i like giving to the local kids that fish by a bridge on our lake.. ill see a few fishing  grab a rod and down I go with a bag full with hooks..a few bass later they start asking...just like seeing the faces light up   when mr big mouth grabs on.......one time I was fishing a lake a few yrs. back and the local tournament was in swing...myself and my son were on a flat casting a kvd 2.5squarebills and just putting the smack on them  when a guy fishing behind us ask what we were using ..I told him ,he didn't have the bait so I casted into his boat told him to cut the line....freebee..we left him the spot..back at the launch when they weighed in he won...came back 10 fold.....he had told all the guys about me.....got a few new friends and $50.bucks....he won $500....I was the talk for a few hrs after......every guy on that tournament came by and talked to me & my son.......well worth it...free beers loved that.......if your out to sell your baits to me hit the launches in the morning ..give some away with a card to your web site......it will work.but put your time in...be in the know about your baits sell the story and that will sell the bait...just like the pro guys do...there good talkers..you have to be to....

• Like 3

Good things to consider guys...more than 1 way to skin a cat. Had a few ideas while I was doing my real job today. Going to start a blog that will eventually morph into a selling website. Gonna put website stamp on all my lures, so no matter if , I sell one or give it away, they'll know where to go. One other idea that I'm gonna keep close to the vest for now.

I've only done a few giveaways, for reaching milestones with my "fan-base". I used them as a way to show my appreciation for everyone that follows my page and supports me through my painting journey. 

However I had to stop doing that, because I would notice the people that always won the bait for free would never contact me again, while my customers that actually paid for their baits remain in contact with me to this day. I never really understood that.....probably just people out to get free stuff and be done with you.

I have also experienced trying to partner with other fishing related businesses and such, offered my baits in exchange for their full and honest feedback on my product, and if they could please post some of their reviews about my work on their social media sites. I did this more for me, so I could get some more public opinions on my work, but they were still getting free lures. There was nothing for them to lose....but they never did what I asked in exchange for all the free product.

There's one major page/business out there that is notorious for ripping people off as I later found out from other people. It was my mistake for giving away my product in exchange for their feedback...but I felt the least they could do was type a few sentences up for me, good or bad. That left a bad taste in my mouth and I felt burned, so I no longer give baits away. 

I will however always be willing to offer my products to charities and organizations in order to help them raise money for a good cause. 

To be honest, the only people worth sending baits to, are other builders, at least they know what they are talking about and understand about the need for feedback.

Is feedback necessary at all, after all, you are the best judge of the lure in action. Feedback from others is just a validation, possibly an ego thing. To the customer, being asked to provide feedback may well give the wrong impression.

I would sooner put a bait in the guys hand and whisper, "This will kill'em, don't show it to anyone else"!

Dave

• Like 1

All good points gentlemen, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is just how well any given lure catches fish. Bill Lewis has probably sold more baits than anyone in the lure building business and there was a point in time where he was giving baits away out of the back of his old car. If a bait catches fish word of mouth goes a long way. You'd be hard pressed to find a bass fisherman that doesn't own at least a few of his lures.

By the way, that's where the name of the Rattletrap came from. His car was such a junker that he called it "the rattletrap".

Ben

• Like 4

Lol, I love that knowledge of the name "rattletrap". I'm getting preliminary feedback already. I guess because of the warm weather that is happening this year. The rain is keeping some of the folks off the water tho. Enough time tho to start making comments about my baits by them. They say that they are catching fish (yet small), which is happening with any of the baits that they use.

Understand these are people that keep in contact by whatever means or just coming by and talking. Most are young men that grow up around me; coaching them, friends with the children etc. They also know each other. They will fish any time they can, which is what I need and they know this.

They are requesting different paint schemes and depth. Now they are saying, I'll help with the cost and time involved". The information that I gave to them is close, about each bait in general; depth, action.

As I stated,"do this with people that you can trust", friends. Word of mouth is starting to happen. It can work.

One problem could be happening, I started this for my use. This may become a mistake. But I'm getting info much faster then I could have gathered it.

Cheers,

Dale