dchance

Lee Pot Drips

I don't pour lead, other than a few ballast weights for my cranks, but I have read just about everything here on thread on the subject of cleaning lead stuck in my memory. Also, it seems that once the dripping problem has started, no amount of fluxing will stop it. The pot will need to be cleaned out and you must start again with clean lead. The whole thread is worth reading.

This also means that you need a separate pot for cleaning lead and ladling into ingots.

Frankford Arsenal Cleancast seems to come highly recommended for the job of fluxing/cleaning.

Dave

I've been using them for 30+ yrs. and yeah they'll leak.  I've used hard/soft mix and while I've got it to stop for a while it starts up again. I'll say up front I'm the weird one on here that empty's and cleans the pot after every use as I don't have a workshop where I can leave it.  

When I'm pouring I have a long length of spinner making wire and an old bass jig with the tip cut off and bent into an L shape.  I'll stick a small metal cup I have under the pour spout and then run the wire back and forth out the pour spout and then using heavy pliers and good gloves (which you should have anyway) I'll push that wire up into the spout to knock blocks out.  

I can deal with minor drips it just seems thats the way they are.  Wish I could afford and RCBS pot everyone I know that's bought one has no leak problems.   

Just be safe!!!

It use to drive me crazy how much my pot would drip. When I started using frankford cleancast flux the dripping all but stopped.

I can't think of a single negative thing about the cleancast flux...once I found out how little it takes, even the cost is great in my opinion. I will not melt lead without it ever again.

Also since I started using frankford I have NOT ONCE had to stick wire up the spout. Prior to frankford I don't think I had ever heated up the pot without needing to shove wire up the spout.

Edited by goodtimesfishing

They will all leak at some point, then it will stop and then it will leak again. Some will leak more than others. I strongly believe that either there is not enough heat at the bottom of the pot to seat the plunger, or there is some garbage in there that prevents the plunger from seating correctly. Lot of it has to do with the type of lead you use. I have used all kinds in the past, and I've come to the conclusion  the worst for those pots is wheel weights. There is so much garbage in those weights and the lead is very hard, that I stopped using them. There are some things you can try, flux your lead very heavily, turn the heat up a bit, and use better lead. I flux with bees wax or candle wax, works for me. Also I now buy my lead from Roto-Metals, and don't have nowhere near the problems I've had in the past. There are a lot of things you can try and you will get a lot of advice here. Try some and find what works for you then write it down for next time. Good Luck.

They will all leak at some point, then it will stop and then it will leak again. Some will leak more than others. I strongly believe that either there is not enough heat at the bottom of the pot to seat the plunger, or there is some garbage in there that prevents the plunger from seating correctly. Lot of it has to do with the type of lead you use. I have used all kinds in the past, and I've come to the conclusion  the worst for those pots is wheel weights. There is so much garbage in those weights and the lead is very hard, that I stopped using them. There are some things you can try, flux your lead very heavily, turn the heat up a bit, and use better lead. I flux with bees wax or candle wax, works for me. Also I now buy my lead from Roto-Metals, and don't have nowhere near the problems I've had in the past. There are a lot of things you can try and you will get a lot of advice here. Try some and find what works for you then write it down for next time. Good Luck.

I've experienced all of the aforementioned problems Cadman has over the past 25 years.

Here's the answer-  http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Pro-Melt-Furnace-120-Vac/dp/B000MLAWAA

Edited by smallmouthaholic

I gave up on the Lee pots.  Tried both the 10 lb and the 20 lbs.  Using clean pure lead both leaked.  Purchased one of each new and used pure clean lead.  Both leaked.  I was really really tired of getting splashed with hot lead so I stepped up to a RCBS Pro Melt and problem solved.

There's a new Lyman bottom pour pot that's supposed to be out, the Lyman Mag 25.  It's a bit cheaper than the RCBS and so far I've seen nothing but good reviews about it.  It's pretty hard to find as it seems that either Lyman is having production problems or it's selling so well that vendors can't keep it in stock.

I was given a old rusty crusty Saeco 10lb bottom pour pot a couple of weeks ago.  It's got to be close to 30 years old if it's a day.  Looking at it you can tell it's not been used in a LONG time.  Plugged it in and it works fine and doesn't leak.

• Like 1

There are a few past threads on the subject. This one seems pretty informative.

The TU search will not help much, because of the three letter rule. Try Google - tackleunderground.com: lee pot cleaning - this brought up a very good list.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I've experienced all of the aforementioned problems Cadman has over the past 25 years.

Here's the answer-  http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Pro-Melt-Furnace-120-Vac/dp/B000MLAWAA

Yes, I have one and it is an excellent pot, no leaks. However many people won't fork over $300+ for a pot they will occasionally use. I wish someone could make a leak proof pot for under $100. Imagine how many you would sell if you could solve that problem and make it affordable for everyone.

I gave up on the Lee pots.  Tried both the 10 lb and the 20 lbs.  Using clean pure lead both leaked.  Purchased one of each new and used pure clean lead.  Both leaked.  I was really really tired of getting splashed with hot lead so I stepped up to a RCBS Pro Melt and problem solved.

There's a new Lyman bottom pour pot that's supposed to be out, the Lyman Mag 25.  It's a bit cheaper than the RCBS and so far I've seen nothing but good reviews about it.  It's pretty hard to find as it seems that either Lyman is having production problems or it's selling so well that vendors can't keep it in stock.

I was given a old rusty crusty Saeco 10lb bottom pour pot a couple of weeks ago.  It's got to be close to 30 years old if it's a day.  Looking at it you can tell it's not been used in a LONG time.  Plugged it in and it works fine and doesn't leak.

Is it a bottom pour?

Thanks guys for the help. I have plenty to do to fix the problem.

What's the best way to clean one of these pots out. I have never done it.

I assume melt it and drain it best u can then what?

Derek, the easiest way I found to do this is as follows:

Turn on pot and drain all lead into a muffin tin.

Once it is drained, unplug unit

While it is cooling, take out the plunger and clean that, be careful it will be hot. I use course steel wool to clean plunger.

Once the plunger is clean, start cleaning the bowl, again be careful as it is hot. Use steel wool and scrape off all excess.

Turn pot over frequently to empty contents.

Now clean the concave area where the plunger sits. Check for any sediment.

Once you are all done, re-assemble the plunger.

Turn on pot and fill with lead.

That's the way I do it. Once a year on my Lee IV pot.

Hope this helps.

Edited by cadman

I used to clean mine religiously and using laping compound w/ a electric drill on a slow speed attached to the end of the plunger. It worked like a charm for almost 1 1/2 years and then stopped.It sits in a box in my shop- not sure if I want to do a Lee trade-in deal.Lee pots  all drip after time-every time! :eek:

The RCBS is a dream unit compared the a Lee pot. Price is relative to production,safety and reliability :halo:

I used to clean mine religiously and using laping compound w/ a electric drill on a slow speed attached to the end of the plunger. It worked like a charm for almost 1 1/2 years and then stopped.It sits in a box in my shop- not sure if I want to do a Lee trade-in deal.Lee pots  all drip after time-every time! :eek:

The RCBS is a dream unit compared the a Lee pot. Price is relative to production,safety and reliability :halo:

I have had 2 RCBS  pots and they both dripped a lot. I have it apart right now to clean it to stop it from dripping or at least slow it down.

the pot is suppose to be SS but it stills rusts along with the plunger. that seems to be the culprit, all of that rust on the plunger and the socket. 

what would happen if the plunger and the socket was made out of aluminum?

I have had 2 RCBS  pots and they both dripped a lot. I have it apart right now to clean it to stop it from dripping or at least slow it down.

the pot is suppose to be SS but it stills rusts along with the plunger. that seems to be the culprit, all of that rust on the plunger and the socket. 

what would happen if the plunger and the socket was made out of aluminum?

It sounds like you have contaminated lead. Flux and flux until there is no more dross on top.Open the plunger to expel any leftover junk(zinc?) and then pour.Try Rotometals lead next.