fish pirate

Solarez Uv Update

Hey Guys,

Just got off the phone with Gary at Solarez. They have been very busy with the holidays. They are going to get the new product on the website asap. We talked about a name for it and I believe it is going to be Piranha Hide. The product is similar to their Duro Doming Resin except this is formulated to be triple cross linked which is where they get the flexibility. Gary has reservations that many may think that it is too expensive but if you figure the cost, hassle and waste involved with epoxy I think it will be a no brainer. I buy by the gallon so I don't know the quart pricing. I hope this helps!

Hey Guys,

Just got off the phone with Gary at Solarez. They have been very busy with the holidays. They are going to get the new product on the website asap. We talked about a name for it and I believe it is going to be Piranha Hide. The product is similar to their Duro Doming Resin except this is formulated to be triple cross linked which is where they get the flexibility. Gary has reservations that many may think that it is too expensive but if you figure the cost, hassle and waste involved with epoxy I think it will be a no brainer. I buy by the gallon so I don't know the quart pricing. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the update.

When will it be on their site?

Hmm, maybe the price is why he walked around me questioning him about it this evening (see my reply to the original post below). I ask about it twice and he dodged an answer. Sounds like it may be expensive, similar to Alumi-UV @ $90 qt.?

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/30722-switch-to-alumiuv-or-keep-using-epoxy/#entry248598

Edited by Lipz

Hey Guys,

If the product works and has all the attributes physically we need in a topcoat price becomes a little easier to accept.

Doming resin price is a little over 40 bucks for 4 oz.....so lets hope not similar in pricing.

I just looked at the "Duro Doming" resin, and at $42 per 4 oz (+- possible price of new product?), he has valid reservations. It would be a quick and wonderful product, but as a hobbyist/small seller, I personally couldn't see it as a feasible option if it is in that price range. That's why I haven't pulled the trigger on Alumi-UV. That said, for the moment I will be ordering a qt of Solarez Gloss Polyester to try.

Thanks to Fish Pirate for trying to help cure the epoxy blues!

• Like 1

Thanks Nate.

It's cold down in my garage right now, and the resin is thick.  I can heat it with a hair dryer, but I think it's also thickened over time, as the open dip container lets solvent evaporate.

Today's project is to rehabilitate my Solarez dip jar, as soon as the temps get up into the 40's down there.

Can Solarez be thinned with acetone?

I was looking at their FAQ section and came across the following.

Can I thin Solarez®?

You may thin Solarez very simply by heating it in a paper cup for a few seconds in a microwave oven. (microwave ovens vary widely in strength so check your resin every 5 seconds to see that it doesn't’t get too hot --hotter than drinkable coffee 130°F). This Solarez cannot have any MEKP catalyst in it!!! At this temperature, Solarez will be as thin as water and can instantly wet out fiberglass cloth. As soon as you pour out your resin onto a cool substrate, it will return to normal viscosity. If on the other hand, you want to add a thinning agent, you can add a little styrene monomer. It is not advised to add any more than 3% because adding styrene will soften the surface and cause premature yellowing. The adding of acetone or alcohol should be entirely avoided because these are not reactive diluents i.e. they do not become incorporated into the resin like styrene, they just boil out and cause pinholes.

and

Storing tubed products (putties) at lower temperatures will certainly help. Refrigeration is not necessary but certainly will prolong the life of the product. Liquid Solarez' (eg pints, quarts) shelf-life can easily be increased by opening the lid monthly and allowing fresh air to circulate in the dead-space of the can. If the level of the liquid is high (little dead-space) the shelf-life will decrease. The reason is that the resin’s inhibitors need atmospheric oxygen to function. They "suffocate" over time if not given air. Storing in a bare steel can will dramatically shorten shelf-life too because metals act as a catalyst to curing. We generally sell Solarez in [inert] plastic containers or epoxy/phenolic-lined metal containers.
Edited by Travis
  • Like 1