Leatherhead

Spinner Bait Newbie Needs Advice

Do lead spinnerbait heads really need to be reinforced?

Mark- they do not if there is +/- 8% antimony in your lead or you make them from Aqua pure,lead free solder.Buzz-baits made w/soft lead( x-ray room lead) become loose after 2-4 bass and water gets under the cracks and openings-goodbye paint job! :eek:

Not looking to argue or start an "expert'' war on this subject- 26 years experience  plus the 1st 2 w/ soft lead taught me a life long lesson( right in the back pocket) concerning soft lead and spinner/buzz-baits. I replaced 6+ dozen @ no charge to customers(25-26 years because the ones poured w/ x-ray lead loosened up.Soft lead is fine for jigs and sinkers.

• Like 1

Not trying to argue either but i along with a few others use soft lead and powder paint and dont have any issues or need for thousand degree lead.

Learn to dot the eyes and cross the T's before you quote or generalize w/ me..I said earlier 925 degrees for the highest temp. I use for my smelted  lead/antimony mix.. I have "o" complaints/returns concerning buzz-baits and spinners baits including the painted epoxy finish.River SMB are notoriously tough on spinner and buzz-baits.  A satisfied customer is a life-long customer and the small profit associated w/ this business doesn't justify aggravation/returns or complaints. To each his own-peace! :halo:

I just bought the do it ultra minnow mold and cannot get it to pour right also. It was suggested to me to hand pour it so reading this confirms that. Thanks guys!

Smoke the mold w/ a beeswax candle or spray the interior w/ Dropout. Clean the excess(outside the inner cavity) w/ paint thinner(for the drop out) or wipe off the excess beeswax.

Spray dropout on both sides of the ladle and keep it  submerged in the molten lead in between pours. I hand pour that mold and have no problems

• Like 1