basscat28

Best Way To Pour Spinnerbaits/buzzbaits

whats the best way to pour spinnerbaits and buzzbaits? It's difficult with a 4" clearance on my pot with a half inch spout sticking below....ladle fed possibly? also whats the easiest way to powdercoat them without a mess....I just got a small chicago powder paint gun I'd like to try.

Smalljaw, are you the same smalljaw who post youtube videos of tying jigs/flys (if so...thank you). Would you be able to post some pics (or video) of your spraybooth? And maybe your setup for spraying powder paint? I've just been swishing the spinnerbait head and hook in the jar of powder. It works ok for smaller sizes but my 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits are difficult to get a nice even coat. Thanks

Edited by joelhains

I'm working on pouring spinner baits also what would you recommend for a ladle I have the small lee ladle & I got ok pours but I don't think it's holding the heat good enough I was looking @ the Rowell bottom pour ladles but I really don't need a pound of lead in the ladle? Or I suppose that could help with holding the heat so I get a good pour? I am open to all advice/criticism.

I've always used a Lee Hot Pot for all of my pouring.  I've tried bottom pour pots but hated fighting with the drips and plugs.  Maybe I'll buy one of the high dollar pots in the future.  Anyways, I have no problem pouring spinnerbaits or buzzbaits with the Hot Pot.  There is no fighting with the wire forms.  As far as painting, I do it right after pouring and snipping the lead so the lead is still hot.  I keep a propane bottle/torch running on the bench so I can wave the lead through it to keep the right temperature before dipping.  For spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, I keep about a pound of paint in a gallon zip-loc bag.  Shake it up before opening to fluff it and then roll down the sides of the bag so the paint is accessible.  I position the bag so when I swish the head through it, the bottom of the bag is parallel to the head so you have enough room to work without hitting the frame or the hook on the bag.  Swish quickly back and forth to coat.  Then I flick the frame or hook immediately with my fingernail to knock off any excess paint.  I also slide the frame and hook shank through my finger to clean it on some colors.

As long as you focus your heat on the lead head you won't get but a touch of paint to stick to the hook or the wire frame.  It takes a little practice to know how long to heat it in the flame but once you get on a roll and do a few it is easy.  I've also tried the paint cups with air but find my process takes more of the hassle out of it.  At least for me.

I had a buddy who did spin casting and then electro painting.  He could do a lot of heads at once to paint but once painted, he had to go back and blow off the hook shanks and wire frames.  A lot of wasted powder paint and extra time.  I'm sure there are better ways for productivity but for the small guy I think what I do works pretty good.  I can pour and paint a spinnerbait or a buzzbait in about 40-45 seconds from load to load. 

I've been using just a lead melting pot and dip out with a ladle. Had a pot that would pour out of the bottom and to much of a hassle with diff. molds and the  dripping. I also went and bought a bunch of allu. nut bread pans from the local store. They are long and narrow. You can bend them into a lot of diff. shapes as needed to slide your buzz and spinnerbaits down a trough looking set up , works great. Good luck ...STEVE