Sly41985

Quick Question About Clear Coating

I normally use the devcon 2ton epoxy. the store i went to did not have that but it did have the same brand but 5min 1500psi epoxy has anyone ever used this for clear coating? Anyone have an idea on how well or not well it would work? thanks i do appreciate the feedback!

Shawn

Even if you manage to get it on the lure before it starts to cure, it cures too fast to level off and so you will end up with a lumpy finish. The next major issue is that it is much more reactive to UV sunlight an so yellows much faster than regular D2T epoxy.

This product is OK for fixing screw eyes or gluing half bodies together, but as a finish, it is useless.

I sometimes use it on prototypes when I want to represent a top coat without having to wait more than 30 minutes. These lures get tested and then thrown in a storage bag and will never get fished.

Dave

Sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to order epoxy online and pay the shipping costs than it is to run around wasting gasoline and time. I have used D2T and am currently using Bob Smith epoxy. Personally I like the Bob Smith better. Just remember to get the 30 minute variety of whichever epoxy you end up choosing for top coating

Ben

X2 Ray, but shipping cost for just for a few items gets me. That's why I am looking for a clear coat readily available. I have one that is showing very good possibilities.

@ Sly, There are a few threads about concrete sealers. The sealers are sold at most company's like Lowe's. Do a search for that topic, clear coats, etc. There is some good reading that will help you. As Ray states, if you get a "epoxy" make sure to get the 30 min. set up time. Thinning the epoxy down will help with the finish and time.

Take Care,

Dale

To be honest their are a lot of threads on the site regarding top coats.  You will find that they all really boil down to the individual and what they are willing to except as a top coat.

Some guys are fine with dull finish, some guys are fine with hook, some want to be brush product on, some dip, and others spray.  Some want one single coat application others are fine with multiples.  Some guys want instant cure bait others are fine with waiting a week.  Some will deal with topcoats that have storage issues, some deal with reactions with paints, etc....For some I think using something other than everyone  else is the attribute most desired.  

If you are wanting something readily available to most locally that is clear, not prone to excessive hook rash, strong then Devcon 30 minutes is about fool proof.  The cons some can't deliver and mix properly, you have a limited work time (two baits easy and should be able to get a third), cost for some, and likely best used with a lure turner.  You other option especially if local would be Evirotex Lite (Micheal's and Hobby Lobby both carry it).  Will need a lure turner and do multiple coats and slightly longer cure time.

Thank you very much for all the replies i do appreciate it! I saw concrete sealer on here and had no idea what they were talking about. Lol. Ive ordered the devcon 2 ton online and its been shipped to my house already set up. Thats why i was looking for something that would be closer to home. Ill have to try the bob smith and Envirotex. Again thanks for all the replies i do appreciate it. This site rules!

Michael's craft stores sells Envirotex Lite (aka ETEX here on TU) epoxy.  It is a "table top/decoupage" epoxy that levels well and maintains its clarity well.  There are other table top epoxies, sold at various outlets.  The limitation with table top epoxies is that they contain solvents which thin the mixture considerably and also lengthen the hardening times.  So you may need multiple coats to get the coating thickness you want and each coat will require several hours of rotation to harden to a non-sag state, compare to a glue epoxy like Devcon Two Ton which requires only about an hour of rotation to non-sag state.   

• Like 1

When using two part for lure coverage I use Diamond II Rod Epoxy. It is super clear and made to cover rod threads so it isn't effected by the sun like some of the others. I am, however, going to change to using DN through my airbrush when I get back home and in the shop again. On my final deployment in the Navy and really looking forward to applying some of the techniques learned out here on my next projects.

Chad

• Like 1