MuskieTamer

Solarez

If it helps, the lights in my setup came from the sister site on the solarez webpage. They aren't cheap ($100 shipped) for just 2 four foot bulbs but they do work. I wish they would cure a little quicker. A run of 50 plugs or so takes about 2 hours to be fully cured.

When I used Solarez I used these same lights.  They do have some cheaper ones on the same website.  But from what you said your lights are worn out.  These lights wear out with heat.  When you cure a batch of baits let the lights cool all the way down before you cure the next batch.  They will still be as bright as the day you bought them but they no longer kick out the UV light when they wear out.  Like you, I learned this the hard way.

• Like 1

If it helps, the lights in my setup came from the sister site on the solarez webpage. They aren't cheap ($100 shipped) for just 2 four foot bulbs but they do work. I wish they would cure a little quicker. A run of 50 plugs or so takes about 2 hours to be fully cured.

I forgot to mention that my set up had 4 lights in a light box and my baits were on a lure turner inside the box so that I had every part of the baits getting light.  I only did 26 baits at a time but it worked great until the lights wear out.

You will get a lot more life out of your bulbs if you don't turn them on for long periods.  Turn them on for 15 minutes and then turn them off to cool and then repeat.  Doing this causes no harm to the baits.  Think about if these lights were in an actually tanning bed, nobody would be under them for a couple hours at a time.  I don't think they were designed for that.

Barr5150. interesting. The only suggestion I have is and not sure if this will make a difference is do you stir your solarez before dipping? Have you contacted Solarez and see what they suggest? Seems like your doing things the right way..

BobP posted a few years ago that solarez has to be stirred around to agitate the wax flakes in the product. He claimed it wouldn't cure otherwise so I always do it. I will say I had better luck with the gloss formula than the low voc stuff I bought the last go around. The low voc version isn't what they claim it is. I am however really curious about the sanding sealer that showed up earlier in this post. That will be my next purchase.

Wow, I never thought about the lights losing their UV output!

I guess I've been lucky, since I've used the same nail light for several years now, and my Solarez still cures in three minutes.

Hey Mark,

How hard does the Solarez you have get in 3 minutes? Can you still put a mark/indentation in it with a fingernail? I'm new to using the Solarez, so I'm not sure how hard it gets when it's 100% cured. I'm testing the Dual-Cure Gloss polyester.