Bbob

Hollow Belly Frogs

Unless you have access to the kind of injection equipment used for commercial plastic injection, you're going to have a tough row to hoe.

I'm not sure what the exact process is called, but I know it's a lot more complicated than what a home builder typically has at his/her disposal.

I would look at making a soft plastic bait out of buoyant material with a hook trough, so you don't have a tone of plastic for the hook to go through.

Think along the lines of a Zoom Horny Toad, or the Air Frog, by Damiki.

• Like 1

JR - that gave me an idea:

Make the first half mold of the outer shape.

Paint layers of latex inside the cavities until the desired thickness is achieved.

Pour the second half.

Remove the latex.

You now have a two part mold of a thin walled bait.

Dave

Thats a great idea for a hard bait mold Dave!... In fact, i may try this

But i think it would be difficult gluing 2 parts of a soft frog body together

JR - I had assumed that it was a hard body, I didn't research it, just ran with the problem.

Thinking further on the hard body solution, it does not need to be latex. It might be better with a filler, that you can kneed into position in one go. Possibly an epoxy putty or something similar.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I did experiments with putting soft foam earplugs in soft plastic frogs to make them floating.  I didn't make a frog specifically for this application.  I just used my regular Curly Buzz Frog.  I used the belt sander to make the foam plugs small enough to fit.  In order to get the plastic, to completely cover I poured half the mold open, stuck the plug in the plastic and let it cool enough to hold it in place, then closed the mold and shot the rest.  It worked ok.  About 60% of the plugs stayed encased in plastisol.  I caught fish on them, but almost every one was weakened to the point that the foam plug popped out on the first good hookset on a fish.  

A few years ago I discussed here on TU, what I think is a better method of making a floating soft plastic frog.  Make the mold with an insert that goes into the bottom and is suspended up into the cavity by a fin.  Then inject the bait.    When you demold you carefully stretch and peal the frog off the insert.  A few months later I saw a bait by Canyon State Plastics that is very similar to that.  There is a slot in the bottom that opens up into a larger air cavity.  Oddly it even has curly legs.  LOL.  I didn't buy a bag nor have I heard anything about how they work, but they are out there.  Gravity keeps the air in the frog.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

:?  :? Could do a cast mold, of the frog, 2 part mold, then make make a slightly smaller frog solid frog suspended by wire coated in mold release, so you would have a thin cavity between the solid frog and the to part mold.. and then inject latex into to the two part mold.. the wire you could insert through the leg holes and the hole where the eye of the hook is to suspend that hard form frog in place to latex cures, of course u need a sprue to pour hot latex in :) and would have to have a split it the frog at end to remove the inner body could make a soft foam rubber inner core .. make it easier to remove.. here is a company that sells the pourable soft foam http://www.theengineerguy.com/

Excuse the typo its not win .. its when :)

frogmold_zpshqgvuygi.jpg

Edited by northrivergeek

On 1/18/2016 at 6:53 AM, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

A few months later I saw a bait by Canyon State Plastics that is very similar to that.  There is a slot in the bottom that opens up into a larger air cavity.  Oddly it even has curly legs.  LOL.  I didn't buy a bag nor have I heard anything about how they work, but they are out there.  Gravity keeps the air in the frog.  

Frog-2.jpg?1321832522   thats the canyon state hollow frog i believe