cadman

Do-It Herring Head Underspin Wireforms

Ok guys, I have someone looking in to making these wireforms in bulk packs of 1000 for a really good price. I cannot disclose who it is until they are up and running with them. In the mean time I need several thousand of these. Does anyone have a source that has a really good price in bulk, that I am not aware of. Please PM me with any info you have.

I will keep you guys informed once the wire forms are available.

Edited by cadman

Yes, I am going to redesign the clip. I was the one that started the discussion about reversing the clip. Someone here told me that they were reversible, and now having the mold, that is not true. The wireform only fits one way and that is with the cut out in the back. In regarding to this statement "also if the form had the 89 degree bend option another 90 it would work as a form for those wanting to make shake it jigs." I am  not sure what you are trying to convey. Pm me this information, do not post it here, or we can discuss via phone.

Mine will turn but they are tight. Looking at that US mold, the area for the wire form eye looks much deeper and cleaner than mine.

I can tell you this, that all molds aren't all made identical. These are sand cast and I believe that LimpNoodle got a mold that just happens to be able to use the wireform either way. Mine only fits one way, unless I either modify the mold, or kink the wireform. We'll see how all this goes.

Well, all of you that can fit your wire form backwards, you are lucky. I spoke to Do-It about the possibility of doing this, and they say the underspin wireform was designed with the opening towards the back. So I guess my mold was made the way that it was designed even though I think the opening should be towards the front. I would modify the mold, but if I do that I will have to open up the opening where the wireform sits, and I know the way the heads are poured, the lead will seep into the wireform loop and fill with lead. So, I'll use it as is. Thanks for all the help.

I would be interested in a wire form for chatterbaits; like walking dead said. Hook the wire and hook in the jighead. Then after jig is made, hook into the chatterbait and close the end. As far as the herring head, mu wires face backwards also and I have had no trouble with the blades coming off. I pour a small thump grub for the body, lots of action.

Tried mine out today and they do fit either way in mine.

Obviously not the way it was intended but they do fit and pour fine.

I wonder if this backwards loop was an accident kinda like the first batch of wire forms for the swing head football jigs?

I just can't understand their reasoning for the opening facing backwards.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

Tried mine out today and they do fit either way in mine.

Obviously not the way it was intended but they do fit and pour fine.

I wonder if this backwards loop was an accident kinda like the first batch of wire forms for the swing head football jigs?

I just can't understand their reasoning for the opening facing backwards.

I'm thinking, that there is such a variation in the molds now, that you happen to get a mold that the wireform fits both ways. Like I mentioned above, Do-It told me that it was designed for the opening in the wireform to be in the back. I guess if I would have designed it, I would have made it in the front and/or multi-purpose. If you made it this way, people then can put it whichever way they want. I also noticed that as the years go on, their molds are less accurate and less polished. I have some molds that have little dimples in the casting, so when you pour, it shows up in the head. This is usually not a problem, as you can grind this out  of the mold. I guess, if they need to keep the cost down, everything can't be perfect. Do-It is definitely not going to start machining their molds.

Recommend just using a dremel, a nut pick, an all and work that are out so the form fits.  I know it should come to you that way.  The QA process is slipping when the molds come to you hosed up.  Send them back and post critiques.  Kinda like the food in a restaurant.  Some times the quality is only "the food photographs really well!"

Recommend just using a dremel, a nut pick, an all and work that are out so the form fits.  I know it should come to you that way.  The QA process is slipping when the molds come to you hosed up.  Send them back and post critiques.  Kinda like the food in a restaurant.  Some times the quality is only "the food photographs really well!"

It's really no big deal to me. The mold pours fine for me the way Do-It designed it. Yes quality is slipping on lots of items  in this world.

I'm thinking, that there is such a variation in the molds now, that you happen to get a mold that the wireform fits both ways. Like I mentioned above, Do-It told me that it was designed for the opening in the wireform to be in the back. I guess if I would have designed it, I would have made it in the front and/or multi-purpose. If you made it this way, people then can put it whichever way they want. I also noticed that as the years go on, their molds are less accurate and less polished. I have some molds that have little dimples in the casting, so when you pour, it shows up in the head. This is usually not a problem, as you can grind this out  of the mold. I guess, if they need to keep the cost down, everything can't be perfect. Do-It is definitely not going to start machining their molds.

Mine is not a perfect fit but putting the opening forward I can close it and make it seal up fine rather easily.

So yours will not work with the wire forms backwards at all without modification? 

I agree making it fit either way should have been something they designed into it.

It just seems obvious to me that you would want the opening facing forward for the rare chance that the split ring blade combo could slip out.

Anyway here's a few I made to test the mold.

IMAG0847_zps58ol5nhm.jpg

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

Ted

Any word on your attempt to have these made at a cheaper price

I have had some stock samples sent to me last week. The samples I got were larger in diameter, and also the leg that keeps the blade was shorter as well. I have not had a chance to talk to the manufacturer, as this is my busy season, and I am swamped with orders. I will try to follow up on this, this coming week. I am also looking into a reducing pin, which I think I finally can get them cheaper.