taylor1595

Overview Of Ultra Molds Mini Shooting Star. Long Read

I think this is a great post. There should be a lot of interest in this type of machine. A lot of thing don't get any attention because the maker does not have any info on there site. One thing I don't really get is the heated holder, what is this for? And why don't you leave it on the middle block? What was the cost of the whole unit?

Frank, I'd like to first thank you for what you share with the public. Your videos were the best things I watched when I was starting out and it's still crazy to me how efficient you are with the presto and twinjector setup.

I like the stand alone heater because I like to hear the injector hotter than what my plastic is and be able to have the injector getting hot before I turn on the pots and stay hot between batches. I can turn the pots off and let them cool enough to clean up and change color and the injector stays hot on the universal heater and is handy right there by the molds and pots. I hardly ever take the injector apart. By heating it and keeping it hot like that you can purge what tiny bit is in it easily. About the only time I take it apart to clean it is if I'm going to shoot straight white.

I forgot another thing about having the universal heater because I run full batches always now. If you have two injectors you can have them like I do in the picture and time it to where you can shoot two different sets of molds alternating. In other words you could be shooting Pearl swimbaits from one pot with one of the injectors and while they cool shoot green pumpkin craws with the other pot and injector. The injector on the middle will be cooler and the plastic will start to thicken the last inch or two of the stroke when running the pots set at 300 like I like to though

Great write up. I've been running a couple of the large systems for a couple years now. I'll give you a great tip, best thing I did with this is grab some galvanized ductwork the right size and wrapped it around the insulation and hold it there with a couple stainless hose clamps. keeps the insulation from getting so messy. The large system also has a pair of cartridge heaters in the manifold and a 3rd temp controller, not sure why one isn't used with this smaller unit as well. 

Edited by DaveMc1
  • Like 1

Frank, I'd like to first thank you for what you share with the public. Your videos were the best things I watched when I was starting out and it's still crazy to me how efficient you are with the presto and twinjector setup.

I like the stand alone heater because I like to hear the injector hotter than what my plastic is and be able to have the injector getting hot before I turn on the pots and stay hot between batches. I can turn the pots off and let them cool enough to clean up and change color and the injector stays hot on the universal heater and is handy right there by the molds and pots. I hardly ever take the injector apart. By heating it and keeping it hot like that you can purge what tiny bit is in it easily. About the only time I take it apart to clean it is if I'm going to shoot straight white.

Thank you for the kind words. I know the way I do it for big jobs is hard to beat at least for me, but smaller jobs this looks pretty good. I don't like to looks of it with all the insulation but it could be cleaned up like Dave says. Does the 1k include everything in the picture?

1] Solid thick walled aluminum pots with funneled base and sump, to maximize plastic usage

2] Ceramic wrap insulation for pots.

3] 1000 watt, 110 volt heater (10 amp) for each pot.

4] Digital temperature controller with thermocouple for each pot

5] Lid with stirrer motor and fill/view port with rotating cover

6] Stirrer paddle shaped to fit the sump for maximum mixing potential

7] Injector port on each pot for single color application

8] Central manifold for twin color application with injector heater pocket.

9] Insulated mounting feet.

10] 2qt. pot capacity

Mini

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

post-46116-0-78006600-1454294614_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

1] Solid thick walled aluminum pots with funneled base and sump, to maximize plastic usage

10] 2qt. pot capacity

Mini

Walking Dead  curios how are the fumes with this machine? I am really thinking about getting one.

10] 2qt. pot capacity

Mini

Will this system trip the breaker on a 20 amp 110 v circuit?

I'm not much of an electrician so I had a buddy that is an electrician come over and fix my work area where I could set up everything.  I'll take a pic of the plugs and breaker box setup he put in for me.

elrat69, That's possibly the only issue I've ever had but I'm not sure if it was because I was using salt that was not fine enough or because of the system.   I had some inconsistency between the first baits being too heavy with salt and the last few having too little salt.  I absolutely hate using salt so I don't mess with it except when I do sticks. 

• Like 1

Will this system trip the breaker on a 20 amp 110 v circuit?

I am not sure about the mini setup, I have the large ones and with 2000 watt heaters under each pot you will want each pot on a separate circuit. I run one pot and the manifold on one circuit and the second pot on it's own. 

How does this mini system shoot salt? Like a heavy batch for sticks.

Not sure with the mini but I haven't had an issue with the large one. 

• Like 1

Using the formula W=VA:

W = power = 1000Watts per pot = 2000W

V = Voltage = 110

A = current

re-arranging the formula : A = W / V : A = 2000 / 110 : A = 18.182 Amps.

This means that the setup of 2 x 1KW pots should run on a 20A system, but it is close. If the wiring is only rated for 20 Amps, then prolonged use is going to heat the wiring circuits.

If you are going to be running a 1KW microwave on the same circuit at the same time, then obviously the limits of the circuit are going to be exceeded. Also, does the 1000W rating only refer to the pot heater elements, in which case, the stirrer motor current must be taken into consideration. Another consideration; is the heater for the injector also separate, if so, this adds more current to the equation.

The list quoted in post No15 would indicate that the maximum power used is going to be greater than 2KW, as the pot heaters are referred to as 1KW each, see item No3 in the list.

I would be consulting an electrician for peace of mind.

DAve

• Like 1

Using the formula W=VA:

W = power = 1000Watts per pot = 2000W

V = Voltage = 110

A = current

re-arranging the formula : A = W / V : A = 2000 / 110 : A = 18.182 Amps.

This means that the setup of 2 x 1KW pots should run on a 20A system, but it is close. If the wiring is only rated for 20 Amps, then prolonged use is going to heat the wiring circuits.

If you are going to be running a 1KW microwave on the same circuit at the same time, then obviously the limits of the circuit are going to be exceeded. Also, does the 1000W rating only refer to the pot heater elements, in which case, the stirrer motor current must be taken into consideration. Another consideration; is the heater for the injector also separate, if so, this adds more current to the equation.

The list quoted in post No15 would indicate that the maximum power used is going to be greater than 2KW, as the pot heaters are referred to as 1KW each, see item No3 in the list.

I would be consulting an electrician for peace of mind.

DAve

Not an electrician - but have been reading up a ton to plan out my basement renovation with lighting and the compressor.  Something running a constant 18amps would be a bit too much on a 20amp circuit.  I know the pots won't run constantly - but I'd imagine on first heatup if your starting from scratch, have stirrers going and the heating elements you'd be pushing not only tripping the breaker but also drawing alot of current for a decent amount of time which could be dangerous.   Most recommend staying under 75%-80% the amperage on a constant load - so as DaveMC1 stated - running each pot on a different circuit is probably a very smart idea.

BTW this thread is killing me - I love that ultra mold mini system.... eventually I gotta get my hands on one!!!

J.

• Like 2