taylor1595

Overview Of Ultra Molds Mini Shooting Star. Long Read

Not an electrician - but have been reading up a ton to plan out my basement renovation with lighting and the compressor.  Something running a constant 18amps would be a bit too much on a 20amp circuit.  I know the pots won't run constantly - but I'd imagine on first heatup if your starting from scratch, have stirrers going and the heating elements you'd be pushing not only tripping the breaker but also drawing alot of current for a decent amount of time which could be dangerous.   Most recommend staying under 75%-80% the amperage on a constant load - so as DaveMC1 stated - running each pot on a different circuit is probably a very smart idea.

BTW this thread is killing me - I love that ultra mold mini system.... eventually I gotta get my hands on one!!!

J.

If you can, put in a 100 amp sub-panel for your shop, so you have the flexibility to make changes in the future.

Put in as many outlets with separate 20 amp circuits as you can, and at least one 30/40 amp 220 circuit.

Doing it now is much easier and cheaper than having to do it later.

• Like 1

If you can, put in a 100 amp sub-panel for your shop, so you have the flexibility to make changes in the future.

Put in as many outlets with separate 20 amp circuits as you can, and at least one 30/40 amp 220 circuit.

Doing it now is much easier and cheaper than having to do it later.

Totally agree.... luckily the previous owner for some reason installed (2) 100 subpanels panels in the basement - in addition to a large main panel... and while he had a lot of circuits wired - most of them were nonsense that ran to one outlet or nowhere in some cases just capped in a box.  So after ripping that crap out I have a TON of open breakers to wire things up nice... already have a dedicated 220/30amp for the compressor and will run a bunch of 20amp circuits with just outlets on them so I can do whatever I want in the future... still can't understand why they divided up the panels like they did other than making sure there was still room after installing the AC circuits.

J.

• Like 2

Totally agree.... luckily the previous owner for some reason installed (2) 100 subpanels panels in the basement - in addition to a large main panel... and while he had a lot of circuits wired - most of them were nonsense that ran to one outlet or nowhere in some cases just capped in a box.  So after ripping that crap out I have a TON of open breakers to wire things up nice... already have a dedicated 220/30amp for the compressor and will run a bunch of 20amp circuits with just outlets on them so I can do whatever I want in the future... still can't understand why they divided up the panels like they did other than making sure there was still room after installing the AC circuits.

J.

Man, that sounds perfect!  Good for you!

Elrat to answer the salt question the mini did not shoot heavy salt well at first,due to the tapered bottom and sump.Rupert and Chris worked with me on this and sent me two higher rpm motors and new stirrers that were designed to lift the salt. Great people to deal with and solved my problem. Would highly recommend this system. Wish I knew about stand alone heater I would have gotten it too.

On 2/3/2016 at 7:29 AM, SlowFISH said:

Not an electrician - but have been reading up a ton to plan out my basement renovation with lighting and the compressor.  Something running a constant 18amps would be a bit too much on a 20amp circuit.  I know the pots won't run constantly - but I'd imagine on first heatup if your starting from scratch, have stirrers going and the heating elements you'd be pushing not only tripping the breaker but also drawing alot of current for a decent amount of time which could be dangerous.   Most recommend staying under 75%-80% the amperage on a constant load - so as DaveMC1 stated - running each pot on a different circuit is probably a very smart idea.

BTW this thread is killing me - I love that ultra mold mini system.... eventually I gotta get my hands on one!!!

J.

I have had nothing but troubles with it. In fact I am going to sell the one I have. I fabricated my own with a bottom mount stir system. The main issue with the SS system is that you have to use that injector and it is not fun if you get a clogged gun. It isn't as easy as popping the bottom off. It is probably a fine machine, but if you expect to plug and play...there is a learning curve to it.

I have the mini shooting star and i agree with  everything Taylor said i also have the extra heater  and  love it, you can do like taylor said  heat the injector to the temp u want  works great ,  Also the new systems offer the base , brackets , and has a cover around the pots. The system has one power cord that runs the whole system . You may want to beef up your electrical plug with a heavier  guage wire  and breaker mine has worked fine but i shoot only small batches. I also bought another injector so if i am in the middle  of a batch and injector messes up i can just switch. I do open my valves turn the system on when it gets around 150f i will blow air thru the valve it will blow a worm size out of the runners,  then u don't have to purge . You don't want to melt it just get it hot enough to  release it from the runner. The only problems i have had is i was pulling  too hard on my injector and pulling air either around the seal at the valve or inside the injector but i slowed my draw that fixed that. I also clean my injector after i do a  batch had a problem once though it might be from build up in the injector but this was before i got the heater,  the middle to me  just don't get the injector hot enough  when u first start shooting it will warm on up as u shoot but the heater takes care of that. Cub48

Thanks Cub48. I think I was just really frustrated. I bought the separate heater and that helps with clogging, but I was getting a lot of air. Probably caused by what you were saying. I have the newer model with the brackets which is nice. I like the idea of blowing out the channels, I'll have to try that. But yea the center block doesn't get nearly hot enough. I'll keep trying.

thanks again

Chad

I have my system mounted on a table of it's own . This way i can apply pressure while i pull in the plastic with the injector. I don't rely on the brackets but push in while i draw the plastisol in. Also when i take the puck out of the bottom i try to pull the spur out with it sometimes i can get one out most of the time one of them will break off, but just clean the pot then turn the pot on as it start to warm i use two  1/4" wood dowels taped  to open the valves  just twist the valve  then take the air blower blow thru each hole in the valve when the system gets about 150f . I know i am jumping around but when i think of something  i write it down LOL . Be sure to close the valves when you are done!  I spray paint one of my tubes on my injector so i can tell the top color high temp paint works best. I also use a oven glove as with the heater it get the injector hot enough to need one. If anyone needs some help i will try Later Cub48