jonister

Identifying Wood

So I have been thinking about this for a while and I can not for the life of me figure out a way to ID the wood I make my lures out of. I know what kind of wood I use, but when I add paint and a clear coat I forget. What I am trying to figure out is some way to identify them or something so I know when I am on the water, that I am throwing a poplar lure or a cedar lure, etc. I thought of initials but that can get mixed up. I feel like I am totally over thinking this! Oh and the other thing, I thought about separate tackle boxes but I do not have enough room for that and I still would mix them up. Does anyone have a solution? I'm stumped here!

The only time I care about which kind of wood used to make a crank is when I'm getting ready to make another like it.  And since I always make detailed notes on every batch of cranks I make, it's not an issue.  The things to care about on the water: 1)  does the crank perform to your expectations and 2) what do the bass think about it.

• Like 2

The only time I care about which kind of wood used to make a crank is when I'm getting ready to make another like it.  And since I always make detailed notes on every batch of cranks I make, it's not an issue.  The things to care about on the water: 1)  does the crank perform to your expectations and 2) what do the bass think about it.

I agree except I switch the order of importance.

I thought of initials but that can get mixed up.

You can just use a sharpie to put a letter on the bill once you've made them, like P for poplar, and C for cedar.

I think that is what most would do but he already nixed initials.

Edited by Travis

If your worried about using initials and mixing them up make a legend and write it down. Put a laminated copy in your tacklebox if you need to. Before long you won't have to refer to the legend as it will be committed to memory. That's a lot easier than having a separate tacklebox for every species of wood.

Ben

Travis, the small color dots was genius! I will try that! I knew I was over thinking this.

I will also experiment with the initial legend idea. I'll write them both down and see which one I prefer. I thought making a legend would be pretty time consuming but if I am going to be using this regularly it would totally be worth it. I just use so many woods it gets confusing and I would like to see on the water the difference between 2 cranks of different species. I could just go home and look at notes if I forget but I also like the feeling of being able to tell a friend or myself what I am throwing and what it is made out of right there on the boat.

Again, I knew I was over thinking such a simple thing. Thanks guys!

Edited by jonister

As far as marking goes, I have a set of cabinet draws with each type of wood species and sizes separate from one another. When I pack the lure after I'm finish I have a little card/note telling me or another person what the bait is made from and name of the bait.

Like BobP I keep detail info about the lures that I do. I keep a spreadsheet with info about the lure; wood species, weight need (according to sink, float) of each species, bill angle and size, etc. I also keep a picture of a blank showing weight position, etc. This is kept on a flash drive where I can see it just about anytime.

I also keep up with what I have made and who I made the bait for. I give each bait a name; "A, B, C etc".

I know, a lot to keep up with. But once it is set up....not really.

Just my way, Take Care.

Dale

Dale, I have been working toward that! I am starting to take notes on painting and have all my wood in separate bins. I used to be too lazy for this sort of stuff but it definitely pays off in the end when I can take a lure fishing and catch fish on it, then go home and make more just like it. I do not sell my lures so as far as ones concerned I have no need for this but really it does help.

Thanks for the input Dale! And thanks to everybody for helping me out on this!

Edited by jonister

One other thing Jonister, I give my wood a numerical ID. Other words profile A in balsa would be A-1. For the next wood species let's say it's cedar, A-2 etc.

People have ask me to sign or initial my baits, in very small font size I put that ID, then I clear coat.

I also have blanks of each profile (original) hanging on hooks over my work area for visual reference. I have a dozen profiles that I can choose from and that's enough for me at this time. Some original and some of other lures.

That's my little way of keeping up.

Take Care,

Dale

• Like 1