muskiestalker51

Azek Pvc Sanding

Here is one of my tips for smoothing out and filling the holes on your PVC.  I take light weight spackling and put a little bit in a 3 oz dixie cup.  I then add water to it and mix it up.  You want it thin enough that you can use a small paint brush to brush it onto your lure.  It quickly fills in all the holes and smooths out any imperfections.  Make sure you brush it on in many different directions so that it fills all the holes.  If it does not fill in your small pin holes then it is not thinned enough.  The light weight spackling takes very little sanding to smooth out and I usually use 400 grit sandpaper to do this.  If you use to heavy of sandpaper you will pull the spackling out of the holes.  Any imperfections after this is so small that your primer coat will cover it up.  If you have a lure turner you can thin down etex a lot and it will do the same thing.

You could try dipping the lure in concrete sealer or solarez too. Both of these methods would be easy. I don't believe the sealer would eat the PVC, thoughts anyone?

Also, when I'm making a lure with small detail cut in, I'll shoot createx gloss clear over it several times. This will definitely smooth it out for a nice lure to make a mold out of, but I normally will recut the details in the lure produced from the mold. I then take that lure, make another mold and I'm good to go.

So if doing this for a mold, it's really a 2 mold process.

The first mold is to produce a smooth blank.

The second mold takes the smooth blank and applies the sharpened details.

• Like 1