bucknuckle

Jig Head Dipping?

I just started dipping my own jig heads for steelies. I bought some vinyl paint which did not come out so well. I have seen that the powder paint works much better. My question is, I see some people use a "fluid bed" for dipping. What does this actually do instead of just dipping in the jar? What are the pros and cons? Thank you

A fluid bed causes the powder to float in the air that is pumped into it via an aquarium  pump.  That means when you swish your jig head through the paint, it goes on easier and thinner.  It also means that you don't have to keep stirring it to keep it from packing like you do a jar.  I don't use the jars any longer.

I made mine with components from Lowe's and Wal Mart.  The total cost was under $40.

I use the brown paper lunch bags. Make sure you use a section with out the seam/double thickness.

Caulk the bottom of the pvc pipe, sit it on the paper bag section some place flat/hard. Sit something on top of the pvc pipe to give it some pressure and let dry. Trim off the extra paper with a razor.