bucknuckle

Whats Your Favorite Top Coat Epoxy?

I have some MuskyGary if your interested. I didn't care for it, let me know

what didn't you like about it Sim? I've tried multiple top coats and liked Etex the best out of the lot. but am curious about the art resin for certain applications if it is harder and more durable than etex. Has anyone done an abuse test Etex vs art resin?

what didn't you like about it Sim? I've tried multiple top coats and liked Etex the best out of the lot. but am curious about the art resin for certain applications if it is harder and more durable than etex. Has anyone done an abuse test Etex vs art resin?

not that it's not a good option, just like the ease and results of what I use now

I like art Resin better than Etex so far.. I received a sample from them to try. It spreads over the bait much easier. almost no fish eye.  It is clearer.. The colors are vibrant and stand out.  It does take alittle longer to cure.. It seems to be harder but still has flex..  Im up in the north country so I haven't been able to use it and do a test. I have painted up about 40 baits and cleared with the art resin.  I will be going to lake erie and putting the baits to the test in may....  Depending how they perform on toothy fish I will decide on what to use.  SO far the only problem I see with the Art Resin is the $..   How much better is it vs the cost of ETEX... Yet to be determined..

Edited by law651
  • Like 1

Well I tried some KBS Diamond clear coat and it worked great on my small crankbaits but on the 8" musky lures forget it to many bubbles, so now I will try this H C concrete sealer from Sherwood Williams because it is sold in the area and Menards changed epoxy and do not have GST anymore. Let you know how it goes. 

@ Ravenlures                       Are you going to try it on homemade wood lures or commercial blanks and if you think it might be good for a wood sealer thanks                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          David J 

Edited by Jordanlures

Did not purchase any yet but yes I plan on using it on Resin, Wood, and small plastic crank baits. I would like to have just one type of clear coat to use. I will also most likely use it as a wood sealer even though I only use cedar, but I would dip the wood to help reduce the raised grain.

You guys getting fish eyes with Etex might be "stretching" it too much. I had tons of problems with it and tried cleaning and re cleaning before applying, still had problems. Someone on here had mention being sure to apply  epoxy finishes liberally to avoid problems. Once I started to put it on thicker I had no more problems. Don't brush too much!

Well I tried some H C concrete sealer from Sherwood & Williams , it was the Oil based and seemed to work great but I have to do some more testing. It took 4 dips to get what I wanted and made them 2 hrs apart. It is glossy but not the real wet look that or depth that etex light gives but a lot less waste and less costly. The smell is not bad either, I do use a exhaust fan, but you can stick your nose in the can and not back up, like any of the urethanes. They do have a water base sealer that gives the wet look.

So for now I will continue to test, underwater, with plastic worms and leave in the sun, I will just hang one on the tree and let it hang for a year. So my impression is I think its worth the try.