Virginia Junkie

Stripping Plastic Cranks

I typically use the back side of an exacto knife, or other rigid blade, to scrape as much of the original top coat and paint off as possible first, without scarring the actual lure body.  I use the sharp tip to clean out the details.

The plastic and glue are typically thick and strong enough to allow me to use a quick dip in dirty acetone after my initial scrapping to further loosen any paint that's left.

If there is still paint left, I do some more picking, and even light sanding with 220 grit paper.

Then I dip them quickly in clean acetone, and remove them and let them hang, to remelt the scratched surface plastic.

I saw quickly because acetone can dissolve the plastic itself, and/or the glue holding the two halves together.

I use a pair of hemostats clamped on the rear hook hanger to hold the lure while I'm dipping it, and then hang it by a paper clip hooked through the line tie to let the acetone evaporate off.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

Didn't know they made rednecks that far north.... LOL

Joe, I may not be a true redneck, but I can jimmy rig darn near anything.... redneck baking soda blaster.... Air nozzle, small clear plastic hose. Cut slit in plastic hose, insert air nozzle tip into slit. Cut a 45 degree angle at the other end of the hose, stick it in a box of baking soda, hook up air nozzle to compressed air (I use 80-90 PSI), pull the trigger and let science do the rest....

• Like 2

Have you tried the Predator Baits wart copies?  I find they run great, and catch fish.

http://www.predatorbassbaits.com/id69.html

I was looking at the collector side of the older warts mark.....when I done fishing them I poke them on the rafters in the basement...my grandkids retirement..lol...but, yes ive seen them on his site..also found a company on Alibaba that has them......but.............any bomber ( fat A ) blanks out there??????       id love 10/20 of those...6f 7f   now that's a bait