barr5150

Horizontal Line Tie

The ability to tune the swim of the plug is lost, as side adjustments are more difficult. You are more likely to crack the topcoat with the effort required for tuning.

I mount my belly hooks laterally, as this allows me to mount the hooks in such a way to reduce hook rash.

Dave

• Like 2

Dave, could a horizontal line tie help make the baits run truer?

I put my line tie horizontal on the glide baits I made, because the example I was working from had a horizontal line tie.

Since there was no diving bill, I guess it didn't make any difference in how the lures ran.

Also jointed swim baits, prop baits, and Whopper Ploppers work well with a horizontal line tie.

But I've never tried it with a billed bait.

I guess the next crank I make with a sst screweye for a line tie, I'll have to remember to try it, since it won't affect the PVC when I water test it.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

It occurred to me that the only cranks I make with screweye line ties are shallow runners and wake baits, so I don't know how much of a true test turning the line tie in one of them would be.

I think it might make the bait more prone to catch weeds, but that's just a guess.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

Mark - I have not built any wake or WTD baits, but I would agree with you. With lipped cranks, the lateral balance is critical and requires fine tuning.

Nathan - in early prototypes, I make the eye horizontal and a few mm longer, so that I can explore the vertical eye position options. I always make a few extra bodies for this purpose.

Dave

• Like 1

I have used it on swim baits to  'free them up' a bit, also on twitch style and walk the dog baits, (anything that moves sideways)--as everyone is saying, the probability of cracking the epoxy when tuning is a big possibility.

Pete

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1