joelhains

Bead Media Vs. Salt (Video)

Good video. I love the media also. makes baits durable and doesn't cloud the baits like salt does .THANKS FOR SHARING.

Will add using the media it will scratch the walls of injector and you go through o-rings more often but  with the added benefits of media it is WORTH IT

Edited by archery1

Thanks guys! Glad you like them. I did mean to add something about the glass scratching the injector. I'll have to add that to the video description. I've shot thousand of baits with bead media and so far the scratching only seems to be cosmetic. I still have the original O-rings and they are still holding just fine. But it is definitely worth noting.

• Like 1

joel great video.....id like to see some safty in here some where....the burns that could happen  ouch.......but you did good........any kids watching please use gloves and safty glasses...........joel you did good   thanks for the share...id liked both baits

Edited by fishon-son
  • Like 1

Great demonstration and some good info about plastic additives!

As for the burns........ For most of us, this is a hobby.. Everyone should keep in mind what they do for a living.. Can you do it with one hand? Or none??

Hot plastic melts skin.. That skin is there for a reason.. I keep mine covered now... Jeans, long sleves and yes gloves

• Like 1

On the safety side. If you choose to use glass in a micro....wouldn't recommend using a screw driver to stir with, something softer or something with less mass would be much safer. And cant express enough about proper ventilation also. As easy and simple as this all can be....it is still very dangerous and HAS many health risks. Be safe and enjoy the fun of this hobby. Thanks for the video...great comparison of implementing the two types of media.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing the video, Ill have to try the bead media out.I use a butter knife as well and it works prety good. For the gloves i have some that i really like, they arent big and bulky and make it actually not as safe. you may want to check these out, I also use them at work and ive never been a big fan of wearing gloves, I'm a mechanic and these have good grip and the plastic will just peel off of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=zoom+scuppernong&biw=1366&bih=651&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhzM_E44fLAhWEQSYKHX7aBgYQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=mechanic+disposable+gloves&imgrc=y9BW2Y4xPG0uVM%3A

Edited by emptystringer81

I, for one, can't imagine not using gloves. Your hands are the only thing that allows us to be able to do this thing we love called fishing. Hands and fingers are soooooo important guys, keep them protected. I will never forget reading a thread in this forum where a guy basically melted his finger off and the moral to his story was to have a bucket of cold water nearby?????? Simply wearing a proper glove would have prevented the accident all together.

On the stirrer thing, I used to use a butter knife but I started using a teaspoon (for an unknown reason) and it changed my life haha!

Very good video, one day I will have a go pro so I can make videos! Thanks for sharing! I make only darker color stick baits so I just use the HDA stuff. I really like it, very durable baits and it seems to stay suspended well although if I'm not careful temperature wise, I get settling on one side of the bait. Which is not noticeable until you try to Texas rig it weightless and the damn thing wants to roll over on its side when sinking....but I basically never fish it that way so not a big deal for me (I don't sell stick baits because I don't have the time or clientele to make it worth messing with).

I have to say I was impressed.  

FYI:  I am pretty sure Gary (or his son) experimented with various media in baits, because I remember the first ones I used were Kinamis I bought at one of those drug store chains that doesn't exist anymore and I remember they were a lot clearer and caught more fish per bait than the current GYCB stick worms.  Well I shouldn't say that as I haven't actually used a GYCB bait in a few years now.  Than the GYCB stick worms I last used.  

The salt is hygroscopic, so remelting used salt baits is an adventure in science fiction. I never bother.  Even if dried in the Sun they still retain some water.  I can see with glass bead media it might be slightly more possible to recycle used baits if dried thoroughly first.