saltwater

Building A Better Blank

With the intelligent, clever and experienced members here at TU, I have learned so very much. Thank you for the education.

I am taking my education to the next step by manufacturing blank crank baits.

I hope to get some input about what is lacking and what is needed from the blanks that are available on the market today. In other words, what do I need to do to make a better blank that in the end catches fish?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by saltwater

what size and type of blanks are we talking about.??  the big thing I see coming in the market  is the life like painting..the better or higher cost bait have the best paint jobs....but, that don't really mean anything  just make sure your bait swims right out of the box...looks good and it will find its place....skip on any of that and your doomed   ...that's just me.....design is another one    if your going to make them you got to start with the design   pony up for great software........if your going on the cheap side of things  make them for yourself and buddys..do some give aways I feel that really works...it has for me in plastics......good luck...

I assume that you are talking about designing a split bodied hollow crank, to be injection molded by a company, probably in China.

The basic shape CAD design is not difficult. The hard part is the details, like fins, scales, gills etc.

CAD modeling the hollow is easy enough, BUT, how will it float when assembled with hooks and eyes. This is the skill of the designer. To get the float right will double the design time, as you have to adjust all the design parameters to get the CoG to align vertically underneath the CoB, with all the hooks, eyes and any other hardware accurately modeled in.

Another major consideration is the buoyancy of the final assembled bait. Do you want it to float, by how much, sink, how fast. The plastic density and the wall thicknesses all come into play in controlling the final density.

You also have to be aware of die locks, so that the part can easily be ejected from the die.

If the die company is going to assemble the baits for you, make sure that the assembly line is top quality and that there is a system of quality control inspections. Quality assembly will take longer and so the cost will go up, but if you allow cheap assembly practices, you will just end up with the same dollar crap as everyone else, except custom.

I strongly recommend a prototype build, to test the balance and swim of the lure before committing to a die manufacture and production.

DAve

Edited by Vodkaman

fishon-son, The size and type blank are a couple of the questions I am asking. What are some preferred sizes and types? Also the design is what is found in nature, small, medium and large bait fish. Designed for individual target species.

Thanks for your advice.

Vodkaman- No not made in China, made by hand in the U.S.A. from American components. Not made of plastic from injection mold. At this point it is a small venture. With just a few employees.

My task is to make a better bait than all the others, most durable, best action and highest quality.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited by saltwater
  • Like 1

I don't think there is going to be a lot to it.

1 - shape and size that customers want.

2 - consistency, so if I buy ten blanks, they will be identical.

3 - variety, plenty to choose from.

4 - custom shape service, with minimum order of course.

How are you going to do the cross section shape?

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
  • Like 1

Vodkaman,

1 - Shape and size customers want:

Researching all data bases, I have compiled a list of the most popular shapes and sizes for both freshwater and saltwater baits for northern and southern waters. I am making sure that I do not copy existing baits, only a generalized style, that is somewhat similar.

2 - Consistency, so if I buy ten blanks, they will be identical:

This is what I am striving to accomplish, difficult but not impossible.

3 - Variety, plenty to choose from:

At this time I have 9 blanks, 3 small, 3 medium and 3 large. Each can be made for top water or slow sinkers.

4 - .Custom shape service:

Not at this time. Custom blanks will be available after I am well established.

How are you going to do the cross section shape?

I carved each bait and had a computer guided 3D printer create each two sided molds.  

Fish_N_Fool, thanks for the advise. I have been making cranks since the 1970s. I know what I am going to build, I have 9 models, all have been tested for many many years, all winners.

I won't bore you with my reasoning on not building unique blanks but, as a patented inventor I know the troubles, My blanks simply copy nature so no one can say I stole from them or my chasing those who copy me.

I am asking blank painters what they would like because I see a lot of complaints about some brands of blanks. Poor weight distribution, poor action, poor quality etc. So I can build a better blank.

Edited by saltwater

If I could buy a quality top water popper blank based on the Duo Realis popper 64, I'd jump at the chance. These sit almost vertical in the water and can be popped and walked with ease. I've tried recreating the action but haven't had any success. Granted, I'm just a hobby builder though.

I see tons of crank blanks available in the market but few top water blanks.

If I could buy a quality top water popper blank based on the Duo Realis popper 64, I'd jump at the chance. These sit almost vertical in the water and can be popped and walked with ease. I've tried recreating the action but haven't had any success. Granted, I'm just a hobby builder though.

I see tons of crank blanks available in the market but few top water blanks.

Go to this site, and scroll down 2/3's of the way.  You'll see his version of a Mega Bass popper in the center column, between a Sammy and a popper jr.:

http://www.predatorbassbaits.com/id69.html

It casts like a bullet, pops great, and walks really well, even with a feathered rear hook.

I think the 1.5 crankbait platform would be a major design to expand upon, increase durability, Flat sided models, ect... A great popper style bait that sits in the water similar to the original Rebel P70 would be another good one to have, these are fish catching machines.  Personally I would love to see a lipless suspending/slow sinking twitch bait like the Rapala Twitching Rap or Mirrolure 17MR models, these would be very popular with the salty inshore guys on the East Coast down to the Gulf. Good luck and I look forward to the possibility of buying USA made blanks!!!