Celticav

Regal, Royal, Crown Rotary, or does it make a difference???

Wow Jim, Personally I don't know. I was looking on ebay and if I was to be buying one, I think I'd get the Regal Rotary C-Clamp, It just looks interesting.

No vise comes close to Regal's hook-holding power, ability and simplicity. Self adjusting jaws hold hooks from 6/0 to 32. Squeeze handle and jaws open. Insert hook, release handle and you're ready to tie. Streamlined vises have 360 degree rotation and 220 degree up and down movement for full visual contact. No glare black finish. C-clamp is black.

ebay item # 364611306

There is the description from the ebay site. Like I said it looks very interesting. Let us know which one you get.

Yep, It does look as good and 36.99 even sounds better. I have that open here on my desk, been looking at it because I have been thinking about retiring my old one. It's a hard decision, because it's a used and I mean hard used piece of equipment. I probably won't make the purchases until I get ready to get down to business in the late fall when I do most of my continuous tying for next season.

I have one of the "knock Off" models and it works pretty well. The only problem I have wqith it is the round knob on the back that holds the tension on the part that turns 360 degrees gets loose real easy. I find that I have to afdjust it two or three times in each item I tie. When the thing is loose and you need to press the hook release, it wants to wobble around. Other than that, I don't have much to compare it to. For the last 25 years I have used a Herter;s model 3 and a Herter's model 11. didn't know anything better was available!

The one I'm retiring this year is a Herter's model 4. It's a good vice but loosing it's grip. I've been doing a lot of looking lately.

It'll be interesting to see what I finally decide on.

Probably the one I buy won't last 50 some odd years that this one has lasted. No, I haven't used it that long, It was my Dad's. It's possible that it's older then that.

Hey guys, I carry and sell the Royale vises. I can say that EVERYONE who has used them loves them. The biggest reasons are they hold just as well, and they are CHEAP! I know some guys who put over 1,000 dozen through them with no problems.

I can tell you what the differences are:

1. The knobs do loosen up on them.

2. They do not easly grip #20 or smaller hooks, or at least as the Regals do

3. No warranty

Otherwise the problems with them are the same as a Regal

If you try to tie too small of hooks, #22 #24 and put them too close to the edge of the jaw they MIGHT chip

When I go to shows, I take one and demonstrate the holding strength by putting a #8 streamers hook in it and breaking the hook off WITHOUT the tip of the hook ever moving!

Yea, but I know a lot of shops that sell them and they say that when they are returned, they are done so because they are chipped. It happens because guys try to put size 24 or smaller in, and put it up at the very tip.

I think it has something to do with the tempering / hardening of the jaws, and the very strong gripping power.

Bottom line I think they are the best and easiest to use design out there. You can go from #8 to #2/0 with just a squeeze.

Keith

I have broken the jaws on two of the Crown vises tying large saltwater flies. They are a good buy for the money but be careful of putting anything larger than a 2/0 hook in them. The heat treat/tempering of the jaws is too hard and breakage or chipping will result. When it comes to vises you do get what you pay for.