jonister

Shop Safety!

OK so I know there is a ton of stuff on this, but I just thought I'd bring it up, in case this could benefit anyone else besides myself.

I was dipping some KBS today and was thinking about respirators and such, as in which kind should I get?! I was thinking one of those Niosh approved chemical respirators. Oh and maybe a pair of gloves. I have one of those big vent hoods that I always turn on but I can still smell the stuff so I figure it isn't too good for me. The site says if you are not spraying it, all you need is good air circulation but sceptical. Also, I have read some stuff that said that 2 part resin is bad for you to breathe in and touch. Even when drilling or cutting into it cured? I'm asking this simply because I want to be able to have children and not get cancer in my life, and because I care about general safety. Anything on this, or other safety precautions that can be suggested are all good! Thanks guys! :D

To my knowledge the cancer causing agents in solvent based anything is isocanates. It is my understanding that there is NO FILTER that can catch it. I do wear a respirator when I spray. The main reason is to keep solvent based paints from getting into my lungs. They are not water soluable. Paint can stay there for a long time if you get enough of it. I have gotten PLENTY of lacquer paints, thinners, and clears on my hands over the past 16 years and I haven't grown a third arm yet. However, I do wear a glove on my left hand (the hand I use to hold the bait) when I mass shoot primers and undercoats. I have never worn the glove while shooting scales and finish work. They are cumbersome and just get in the way. I just need my fingers free when lining up nets and stuff. I am still alive and have not experienced any physical problems from shooting lacquer paint. Hughesy is still kicking. He shoots more paint in a week that I do in a year. Just take the proper precautions and shoot, mix or brush on your clears. You should be just fine.

Skeeter

I've been using this while painting clear coating and I'm very happy with it. Keeps me from breathing the paint particles floating around especially after base coating a bunch at one time. I also have an exhaust fan in my booth. I use only waterbase paints and clear with epoxy. 

http://www.turbineproducts.com/breathecool-ii-supplied-air-respirator-system-w-half-face-mask/

KBS is awesome stuff. It is on the pricey side but it works great. I do not thin mine but it wouldn't hurt it. Thanks for all the help on the respirators. I got my hands on the right one. At least I can't smell it anymore so that is awesome! I looked at those air fed ones and they are quite a bit of cash. I understand that they are probably the best but for how much I would use it, it just would not be in my price range. I found some gloves too ;D I paint with water based pants so I don't worry too much about the fumes but I do use the fan when I spray. I have been concerned because I am planning on doing some resin baits and just want to be as safe as possible and prolong my life span.

• Like 1