fishon-son

Aluminum Glitter?

anyone ever use aluminum glitter or every here of it.?   wife was at a thrift store and brought two jars home for me...lol   old stock from sparkl-it  its black and not one piece looks to be the same all different cuts..biggest seams to be about .060 dia..or how about aluminum glitter powder for coloring?

Edited by fishon-son

I read recently in another thread that non-high temp glitter can clump up and bleed in hot plastic..... Saved me a potential headache, as i had just bought a jar of a color i didnt have from the craft isle at Walmart, because i didnt want to place an order and pay shipping on one color of glitter..... So instead, i ordered more colors

Actually, it IS metal that causes the problems. There are plenty of sites that explain the process, so I won't duplicate that here.

I found at least one website that documented metallic glitter as causing BIG MW problems.

Dave

Lots of metals can actually be microwaved. Aluminum used to make divided pyrex cups for hand pouring laminates and swirls is one that comes to mind that I myself have used quite extensively in the past. And another, Del used to sell aluminum glitter, weren't many problems with it, I've used quite a bit of it in the past as well. An as I have said, I have in the past had Poly glitter spark in the micro. 

DaveMc1 - yes indeed, you are correct, to a certain extent.

What actually causes the concentration of energy that results in a spark, is sharp edges and corners. So you can even get your sausages to spark, if you slice sharp edges into them.

Metal simply makes things worse by allowing the electrons/energy to flow easier. The electrons concentrate at the sharp corners and spark. This is why spoons are harmless on the MW, they have rounded edges. Forks cause far more problems because of the tangs.

Glitter is just perfect for sparking, with all its sharp edges. The example that I read of glitter causing the problem, has the metallic glitter glued as a decoration around the edge of a paper plate.

Having the glitter suspended in plastisol may well be enough to absorb all the energy and no problem will exist. There is only one way to find out. Just keep your finger on the stop button for the test. All I can do is the research and then pass the information along to you guys. Practical experience will always count for more, and so if you guys say that it works, then that is good enough for me.

Stay safe my friends :)

Dave

• Like 1

Well I finally tested some great aluminum hex glitter in Purple .040 .063, Dark Gold .040 .063 and Emerald Green .040. No folding or color bleed and brillant colors ! only had to order 10 pounds of each color :drool: . I probably wont need 10 pounds each, so I will sell off some off it. I know DaveMc1 is in for some, I'll repost with prices once it arrives in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Well I finally tested some great aluminum hex glitter in Purple .040 .063, Dark Gold .040 .063 and Emerald Green .040. No folding or color bleed and brillant colors ! only had to order 10 pounds of each color :drool: . I probably wont need 10 pounds each, so I will sell off some off it. I know DaveMc1 is in for some, I'll repost with prices once it arrives in a couple of weeks.

I'm in!!!! Green and Purple that don't curl???? im sooooo in.

• Like 1

I've used aluminium glitter in the past and it did occasionally spark. Mostly when there was a piece on the surface and it was resting against the edge of the pyrex. I only use high temp polyester glitter these days, as I'm very cautious and even one spark every 100 jars of plastic, is one spark too many for me.

The stuff does have a high temp rating though, from memory the glitter I used had a temp rating of 460 degrees.   

Bait Junkys' glitter doesn't curl.

Sure it does ;) I am buying in bulk from the exact same supplier. Red, Kelly Green, Grape, Gold all curl. Black, Silver, Silver Holo and Orange don't. 

It's not that it's a horrible thing, it is a great quality flake. There is very little that I have come across that won't curl. MF, Bear's, certain one's from LC, Spike-It etc. they are all very similar and certain ones will have a tendency to curl on you, some are better when you back off the heat, others there is nothing you can do. They do hold their colours very well though. 

Edited by DaveMc1
  • Like 1

Sure it does ;) I am buying in bulk from the exact same supplier. Red, Kelly Green, Grape, Gold all curl. Black, Silver, Silver Holo and Orange don't. 

It's not that it's a horrible thing, it is a great quality flake. There is very little that I have come across that won't curl. MF, Bear's, certain one's from LC, Spike-It etc. they are all very similar and certain ones will have a tendency to curl on you, some are better when you back off the heat, others there is nothing you can do. They do hold their colours very well though. 

Ditto!

Glitter curling issues have gotten worse over the years. Purple and Blue have always been troublesome....now it seems to be effecting Kelly Green, Lime Green and Red as well.