Siscoe Kid

Painting template ? for Hughsey

Siscoe,

On baits that are some what rounded, I take the plastic and actually bend it in a round tube shape. The plastic has some memory. Then it is just a matter of placing all or you fingers in the right position to hold everything tight against the bait. They don't always turn out perfect but once you figure out where the problem is, you will know to apply more pressure to that imperfect spot. One quick tip on shooting stencils. It is far better to shoot one time with a lot of paint than to shoot several times with a light flow of paint. The more air you shoot at a stencil the better chance of it getting up under the stencil and causing unclean lines. Try to make your paint thick so it covers in one shot.

The sheets of thin clear plastic work pretty well. I've also used heat-shrink material (found at automotive stores). It works very well, reuseable, and will conform to the shape of the body when you hit it with a hairdryer. Great when doing large numbers of the same body style. Just make sure you start with a large enough piece 'cuz guess what? It WILL shrink. Also have used Mold Builder liquid latex rubber. Brush on several thin coats to build a good firm sheathing. Then use an X-Acto knife to slice down the belly line and peel of the 'mask'. Cut whatever pattern necessary. When your bait is ready, slip the mask back on and spray. It pretty much fits tight so there is very little overspray. But you have to make a mask for each type bait you may paint.

btdt

I've found the thin PET used to make fruit juice and milk bottles to be very good. Cut a piece and lay it over the lure, then melt it to shape using a paint stripping gun or hair dryer. It does spring back a little as it cools, but not generally enough to matter. Then I cut the stencil using a scalpel. PET produces a cheap and very serviceable stencil.

Regards

Greg