archery1

Do-It Weedless Wacky Mold

I have read old topics on this and would like to no if any other hooks will work with this mold with or without minor mods to the mold ?

I have used matzuo hooks years ago and didnt care for them to much.Not saying that they might be better these day ,not sure.  I used to fish the jackalls wacky heads and the hooks were awesome .The fish seemed to hook them selves. The hook is a thin wire and bent but i never lost a fish . Thanks in advance for any ones help.

Here is what I can tell you, the size #1 Mustad 37180 is pretty good, it isn't as fine as the Jackall but it is still a fine hook. If you like the Jackall head because the hook will flex on a snag then use the Do-it 785 made by Matzuo, those hooks work well as they are razor sharp, the reason most don't like them is they flex a little easier where as the Mustad is a little more stout. Now, VMC makes a 1/0 that will work in all but the 1/16oz, it is the 7329 and if you look, VMC has the Ike Approved wacky head that uses a 1/0 hook that looks similar to the 7329. I know some will get down on Do-it for hook choices and stuff but I will say 1 thing about this wacky head, I've used a few different brands as I wanted to get a good understanding of what works for me. The Do-it mold I have makes a great wacky head, the design works and is very similar to most I've used, the Matzuo hooks are wicked sharp but they do flex a bit and I don't like using them with anything over 6lb line so I like using the size #1 Mustad 37180 and the 1/0 Mustad 91768 when I'm using heavier line and heavier weights.

• Like 1

Here is what I can tell you, the size #1 Mustad 37180 is pretty good, it isn't as fine as the Jackall but it is still a fine hook. If you like the Jackall head because the hook will flex on a snag then use the Do-it 785 made by Matzuo, those hooks work well as they are razor sharp, the reason most don't like them is they flex a little easier where as the Mustad is a little more stout. Now, VMC makes a 1/0 that will work in all but the 1/16oz, it is the 7329 and if you look, VMC has the Ike Approved wacky head that uses a 1/0 hook that looks similar to the 7329. I know some will get down on Do-it for hook choices and stuff but I will say 1 thing about this wacky head, I've used a few different brands as I wanted to get a good understanding of what works for me. The Do-it mold I have makes a great wacky head, the design works and is very similar to most I've used, the Matzuo hooks are wicked sharp but they do flex a bit and I don't like using them with anything over 6lb line so I like using the size #1 Mustad 37180 and the 1/0 Mustad 91768 when I'm using heavier line and heavier weights.

gr8 info

thanks

Something else to think about.  I don't use the Do It wacky wire.  I cut  and bend my own.  I find the Do It wire to be way too lite.  I was using 2 or 3 of the Do It wires in each head but that ended up being a mess of wires once they got bent.  With my stiffer I get hung up way less often.

Do it molds has to kinds of molds that are jackall like, one is the Stl-m8-a, it uses a mustad 32833 model hook, it's made for steelhead fishing so the hook is stout but will flex a tiny bit

Also do it mold jnr-6-a that will take any eagle model 570 style hooks like the gamakatsu 604

Or a great little hook from eagle claw called the Little Nasty, it looks like the Matzuo hook but it's is so much better. And has the flex you are searching for

Both are collarless and both take 90 degree hooks and no weed guard , all of them available at Barlows

Hope this helps, I've used the jackall jigs and those ate the closest ones to it

Flippinstick Mike, I'll gladly answer your question if you start your own post, the reason is what you are doing is considered hi-jacking. It is a term that is used when you try to have your own question answered in someone else's post that doesn't have anything to do with the original post. Start a new post and I will help but not here.

The past several years the flick shake has done really well for me. Like you I prefer the Jackall jigheads over other ones but they are crazy expensive. The Do-It wacky jigheads I do not like because the hooks bent out on small fish and the wire weedguards just were not working for me. My solution is a modified Do-It ball no collar mold using lite wire Owner hooks and titanium leader wire. The hook shank is longer than I would like but it has been my best solution so far.

Allen

Allen, have you used the Mustad 37180 hook? It only comes in a size 1 but it is barely larger than the size 2 Do-it hook made by Matzuo. That hook is actually pretty good and I haven't had the problem of the hook bending out with it.

No I have not because I bought the baits off someone else to try before buying the mold. I think my small collarless mold that I modified to take a wire guard is going to work out just fine.

Allen