rwfleming

Finesse Jig's

I love the do-it brush jig mold. Makes a awesome 1/4oz jig with 3/0 hook Get the stiffer weedguards and it hardly ever gets hung up

Good luck

do you think my Football Head Brush Jig Mold in 1/4 oz would be OK to use? .....i only need to pour about 20 Finesse Jigs.. 

Edited by rwfleming

do you think my Football Head Brush Jig Mold in 1/4 oz would be OK to use? .....i only need to pour about 20 Finesse Jigs..

Football heads work fine for finesse jigs. I make them all the time. In fact almost any jig will work as a finesse jig. Finesse (to me) is more of of a profile or cut of the skirt than the jig itself. Some people would claim that a light weight head makes a finesse jig but that is not nescessarily the case, although not in itself untrue. Pick a jig that suits your needs and make a finesse jig out of it.

• Like 2

I make a bunch of different type of finesse jigs and a 1/8oz football with an FG-12 weed guard has been really good. For a typical finesse jig in a 1/4oz I like the Eakins style and I use a Do-it Weedless round head mold. Snoot, I have some youtube videos with that head and it is my favorite for dragging on rocky flats and down 45 degree banks. I tie it conventional style with a crop top or spider cut but the smaller 1/8oz and 3/16oz I use an FG-12 weed guard and in 1/4oz and up I use the FG-30 weed guard. In my opinion, The Eakins style weedless round head is probably the best simply because you can make it with some weight with a standard wire hook and the round head works everywhere so you can throw it in grass, rock or wood. I like the brush jig but it uses too heavy of a hook which leads to needing a MH rod with heavier line, when I fish a finesse jig I'm using #8 or 10# on a medium power casting or spinning rod depending how heavy the jig is.

• Like 1

Football heads work fine for finesse jigs. I make them all the time. In fact almost any jig will work as a finesse jig. Finesse (to me) is more of of a profile or cut of the skirt than the jig itself. Some people would claim that a light weight head makes a finesse jig but that is not nescessarily the case, although not in itself untrue. Pick a jig that suits your needs and make a finesse jig out of it.

I agree with this. I use a 1/2 oz ball head but the mold uses a small 1/0 or 2/0 hook and only about 14 strands of skirt paired with a small craw like a critter craw. gives off a small finesse profile but still heavy enough to fish deeper too. 

• Like 1