PIV Patrick

Rookie Problem - Hollow Spots - Injecting Stick Worms

Y'all,

I'm running into a little issue with making senko-style baits and hope to get pointed in the right direction.

Injecting 5" stick baits - 4 cavity mold.

I'm ending up with complete baits but they've got hollow places.  Obviously not what I'm looking for.

I run a little plastic out of the injector before I start shooting the bait.  Plastic temp around 330 or so.  Medium plastic with HDS added.

Any suggestions or ideas what I'm doing wrong?  I haven't really had this problem with other baits - craws, u-tail worms, etc.

Thanks much

Patrick

I'm not a rookie but I am having the same problem with a new set of 4" stick molds. It is not air in the injector and I thought at first it might be a vent problem but it is occurring in random cavities and not the same mold every time. It has to be something I am doing to cause it but so far I haven't corrected the problem.

Fill injector and burp it

Inject slow and staedy. should take 4-5 count.

Hold firm pressure 10 secs.

Remove injector and top off imediately.

As soon as level goes down top off again.

When level goes down again top off more.

The sprue must stay full at all times.

Large baits will want to suck in alot of hot plastic as they cool.

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 1

Fill injector and burp it

Inject slow and staedy. should take 4-5 count.

Hold firm pressure 10 secs.

Remove injector and top off imediately.

As soon as level goes down top off again.

When level goes down again top off more.

The sprue must stay full at all times.

Large baits will want to suck in alot of hot plastic as they cool.

Great explanation MonteSS.  I haven't been holding pressure on the injector for anything close to 10 seconds.  Will also keep the sprue topped off. 

Thanks again fellas!  One of these days I'll know enough to be able to share what I've learned too!

This has just been my personal observation, but stick baits are just the worst for producing jacked up baits. I have two 4" Bass Tackle stick bait molds and they are by far the most difficult molds I have. It is almost impossible for me to keep all the cavities from denting. It seems like at least one of the four baits in each mold will have a small dent in it. I have tried shooting at low temos, holding pressure and topping the sprue off multiple times. I have got all of them to come out right a couple times but it is an extreme rarity. I certainly don't have this problem with other molds. Its only the stick baits. I have a freedom fry mold and it is a big thick stick style bait with a tiny sprue and it shoots fine every time.

my bears mold was that way top two had air  i made a sprue extender and that took care of it....my extender is 2inches high off the mold seams like alot but it was home made and i didnt want to keep making one to be just ok...i remelt alot and dont sell my baits soim good with that........i get 4 baits at 5inches each every time and i was trying everything i was told to fix it.....maybe this is what you need...

• Like 2