fishon-son

Hummingbird

can anyone talked about these units..looking to buy two for a new walleye boat....these are for my son he likes hummingbird any help...he will be trolling and jigging mostly spring walleyes then summer bass fishing...first new boat for him...minn kota I-pilot trolling motor up front...

Helix 9 has been the new big seller with Humminbird for us. The down imaging will be an image similar to what your standard depth finder will read but it will be in much greater detail due to it using a different frequency than just the regular depth finder. Side imaging will show right and left sides of the boat showing more contours, picking up objects that you wouldnt be able to if you are just going in a straight line. You can only do the Side imaging at slower speeds, and if you have a dual frequency transducer for the SI you can get better images. Biggest issue with the Humminbird units is that you need to get a high speed transducer and a Y cable with each one. If you don't you will lose the picture if you travel over 20-25mph due to the transducer not being able to keep up. They are great units for the money, but do have their limitations.

I have used both Lowrance and Humminbird over the years. Got an Onix unit last year, and saw things I had not been able to see before. I was never happy with Lowrance service. Last week I had a problem with the Onix and sent it back on Wed. I got it back today(Tuesday). Could not believe the turn around. If I were buying a new unit today, I would get another Humminbird.

I got one of the first Humminbird sonars (model 987C) that had side imaging back in 2002.  Still using and liking it.  It has a clear and easy to use user interface.  Mine runs on a single transducer, which doesn't "lose bottom" up to 60 mph.  However, the down imaging only really works well at speeds below 30 mph.  The side imaging works at speeds up to about 6 mph.  I think you'll have the same experience with any brand you choose.  You can buy a current model sonar with equivalent features for about half what I paid then.  Humminbird is good about upgrading the software on their units via their website whenever they introduce new software to add features.  Mine has ticked away all these years without a single problem.

A couple of comments:  side imaging (any brand) only works at slow speed and is most useful in finding bottom cover or schools of baitfish.  Bass on the screen usually look like small white dots because side imaging can't scale them up like down imaging sonar can.  Side imaging shows too large a slice of water to do that.  Where the transducer is mounted on the transom is absolutely critical to performance, as with any sonar.  It's much easier to get a good transducer position on a fiberglass bass boat with a stepped transom than it is on an aluminum boat, whose hulls tend to produce more cavitation that degrades sonar performance.  Like Dinger says, it's definitely worth the very modest added expense to add a second high speed transducer connected to the unit with a Y cable.  I have no opinion about which may be the best brand among sonars with side imaging capabilities.  I've only owned Humminbird, which was the first company to intro side imaging.  I did read occasional comments about some Lowrance users buying a unit and only finding out later they did not include a side imaging transducer, which had to be bought as an upgrade.  Side imaging transducers are very expensive.