overkill

Experimenting with different rubbers

I know there are two camps of guys here, those who use rubbers and those who don't.

So have any of you rubber users tried the evergreen rubber from smooth-on? I have some ordered in the 60 shore hardness.

I have used the omoo 30 in the past. I wasn't happy flexibility of that. It was too easy to disfigure the mold.

Also the Evergreen is free of carcinogens and other toxins. Anyway I will be trying it with featherlite and foam-it 15

let me know if you have any suggestions?

The more I mess with foam, the more I'm convinced that rigid molds are the way to go. Foam expands way more than featherlite and presents expansion problems that featherlite deoesn't. Conversely, foam yields an indestructable product and with some practice, is very manageable. Cheaper, Too. Spent some time today with casting into Bondo Molds, using Vaseline/mineral spirit as arelease agent and coating the cavity with talc. If the mold is symetical, read NO UNDERCUTS, the lure will pop out, smooth as a baby's rump, mimicking the model perfectly.

husky' date='

did you use bondo body filler, or polyester resin? Also what are you doing to get the bodies ready for paint after using vaseline?[/quote']

Everyday auto Bondo Filler. (Thank You Taurus). As I said, I Talc the mold before casting so the finished product doesn't come out feeling the least bit greasy. Still, I give them a quick wash in warm soapy water, for the stuff I can't see. :rolleyes: I've been experimenting with both Liquified plastic and spray Kilz Primer. As the foam is already sealed and is waterproof, IMHO, just spray it. The primer covered and held fine.

BTW, with the Bondo, Mix it fast and pour it faster, It caught all the detail which surprised me greatly and I was able to cast the same morning that I made the molds from scratch. If you make a perfect mold, perhaps it would be wise to make a "Mother Mold" from that rubber you bought. That way you could have as many molds as you want or need which are as easy as pie to make and are identical in every way. JMHO. I used 4 evenly space vent hole in the mold and had zero distortin. I 'll try 3 then 2, but one tempts the foam to want to bubble. Hope that helped.