JRammit

Drill Press Belt

I never imagined a free drill press could be so much trouble!!!.... Friend gave me an old Craftsman 8" drill press several months ago, all it needed was a switch and a belt

I got lucky first try on the switch, found a near perfect fit at Lowes, practically plug and play... That part is done... But they dont carry belts... I tried Ace Hardware, still nothing

My friend suggested an auto parts store for the belt... Wasted 2 trips to Auto zone, they dont carry anything that will fit...

So, i googled the owners manual, got the exact size (5/16" x 26") for another friend who works at a salvage yard... A month went by and he couldn't find anything close

So i went online again.. Found a belt on ebay with my exact model number in the description... $20 + shipping, placed order, had delivery issues, 2 weeks later i get a 44" belt in the mail (18" too long)

I just contacted the seller, hopefully they made a mistake and can make it right... But i shudder at the thought of the belt wearing out and ever having to go through this again!!!..... A belt is a normal wear n tear item, if yours broke where would you buy a new one?????

I never imagined a free drill press could be so much trouble!!!.... Friend gave me an old Craftsman 8" drill press several months ago, all it needed was a switch and a belt

I got lucky first try on the switch, found a near perfect fit at Lowes, practically plug and play... That part is done... But they dont carry belts... I tried Ace Hardware, still nothing

My friend suggested an auto parts store for the belt... Wasted 2 trips to Auto zone, they dont carry anything that will fit...

So, i googled the owners manual, got the exact size (5/16" x 26") for another friend who works at a salvage yard... A month went by and he couldn't find anything close

So i went online again.. Found a belt on ebay with my exact model number in the description... $20 + shipping, placed order, had delivery issues, 2 weeks later i get a 44" belt in the mail (18" too long)

I just contacted the seller, hopefully they made a mistake and can make it right... But i shudder at the thought of the belt wearing out and ever having to go through this again!!!..... A belt is a normal wear n tear item, if yours broke where would you buy a new one?????

NAPA auto parts store

First of all that's why don't like buying online. I agree about NAPA. They can custom fit a belt, May cost a bit more but they can help you. I go there.....well just for that reason. If the people there are knowledgeable, they will give you some of that to. Knowledge that is. :)

Dale

I switched to link belts years ago.  No hassle as you just add or subtract links.  Some performance gains to be had in vibration reduction.  

Harbor Freight (avoid it usually) carries them for around 25 bucks for 5 ft.  Take the 20% off coupon and save a little more.

First of all that's why don't like buying online.

Dale

I couldn't agree more!... This is why i went to such extents before ordering!

A positive note, along my journeys i found Devcon 2 ton at Ace, so i no longer have to order that!..... My new job is in the city, so i have MANY more options on my way home every day... From my old job i would only pass Walmart and Lowes every day

Nothing wrong with buying online just need to be selective in the places you shop.  Also helps if you aren't one of those types that you have to have the object in your hand to determine if it is the correct part.

Ace is where I still get Devcon and some other odds and ends but have to be very selective as Ace is a good 30% and at times more on the same or comparable items as other stores.  There red hot sales aren't bad however.  Last month the 12 inch Jorgesen f clamps were 5.99 a piece.  

Nothing wrong with buying online just need to be selective in the places you shop. Also helps if you aren't one of those types that you have to have the object in your hand to determine if it is the correct part.

I was pretty sure of my purchace since the model number of my drill was in the description... Still got the wrong thing

The big problem is returns... If it cant fit in the mailbox (the belt will) i can forget it.. Post office hours dont coincide with my work schedule

I was pretty sure of my purchace since the model number of my drill was in the description... Still got the wrong thing

The big problem is returns... If it cant fit in the mailbox (the belt will) i can forget it.. Post office hours dont coincide with my work schedule

Just commenting overall many of the guys I know that have trouble are the need it in my hands type.    Overall I find shopping online to be great as saves me money and more importantly time.   

Returns can be a problem at times. The few times I have needed to return something they just told me to keep it and sent the correct one or I just take it to work and have it sent out with our mail.

You are right Travis about dealing with selected companies. And yes I know what I want when looking at a product online, but somewhere between ordering and getting is where things go wrong. If I order wrong it's my bad, but a lot of times it's not that way.

Once the product is in my hands and right I'm happy, not just in my hand.

Dale

Well NAPA did not have it in stock, said they can order it but i didn't wanna go thru that again... So the guy refered me to a tool trader store down the street.... But its a 9-5 store, so that option is out too

About fed up!... Almost to the point of just buying a new drill press, but with my luck that belt would break too

Travis, where did you get those link belts?

For some reason I read 7/16...not 5/16.  Link belt not going to be ideal.  You need a K26 belt.  Amazon one hard to beat price wise.

http://beltpalace.com/k26.html

Might be the cheapest and easiest route if that isn't where you ordered from earlier.

http://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Industry-Mower-Black-Rubber/dp/B00HZY3EPM

Less than 3 bucks hard to try that one as no real loss if wrong belt.

Edited by Travis

5/16 belt?  Really?  Wow!  Must be one of those chea... er I mean inexpensive little 1/4 HP drill presses.   Panty hose will work for one of those.  

Seriously, in a pinch panty hose legs really work as a fan belt.  Even on a car if it has v-groove pullies.  Don't know how long it will last, but you could drill today if you wanted to.  

• Like 2

Travis found a lawnmower belt for $3... Funny, same exact belt (supposed to be) that i paid $20 for

I was hoping there was a store i could pick one up from, but i guess ill try ordering again... Ill have to wait again... But in the mean time Bob says i can use panty hose, HA!... Ill have to try that just to say i did

Seriously, in a pinch panty hose legs really work as a fan belt.  Even on a car if it has v-groove pullies.  Don't know how long it will last, but you could drill today if you wanted to.  

Built a belt for a cooling fan out of rope one time. Worked for about 2 months. You'd be surprised what you can do when you ignore all the "that won't work" chatter that everyone throws at you while your doing something out of the ordinary.

Ben

• Like 1

FINALLY!!!

Got the right belt in the mail... Thanks for the link Travis!

Other company gave me a full refund for the wrong belt, said they dont carry the right one.. Turns out my model number had an extra zero at the end, hince the confusion

Never used a drill press before.. Drilled a few holes in scrap wood tonight, i like it!

• Like 1

Next, a couple of different sized flap-wheels.

Manage you drill bits. Keeping them all in a jar becomes a real pain.

A drill press vise is very useful.

The drill press is going to be used for lots of jobs other than lure building, so other bits like wire brush, buffing wheel and soap, will all get used occasionally. And more, even paint stirring.

You will be making jigs, for through drilling from both ends of a lure, that meet in the middle.

The drill press is a great tool, so many uses. Get used to managing the spindle speeds.

Dave

Through drilling will be its main purpose

Also got some sanding drums, plan to use it in place of a belt/disk sander (until i can get one).... Havnt made a single hard bait in the new shop yet, been waiting for this moment!

First order of business is making a few table attachments, at different angles for shaping bodies with the drum