emptystringer81

Soft Plastic Memory

I have some 702 craw baits that has been in a bag for a few months and the pinchers are bent from sitting in a bag with other baits. Does this have something to do with the quality of plastic, Maybe too soft of plastic? Ive used Lureworks pourasol soft with a little softner added, and bait junkys soft. after injecting I let the baits soak in water for about 3 mins or so then lay them flat on papertowel for a week before bagging them.

If they're get bent in the bag it doesn't matter how long you let them sit before bagging they'll still get bent. You can try getting a pot of hot water on the stove and hearing it up over medium high heat but short of boiling. Dip the bent baits in for a few seconds and pull them out. I've used this trick for bent trick worms and it works pretty well.

• Like 1

One thing I have found is that it's easier to keep the baits from becoming bent by just putting them in a zip lock bag from the grocery store. The actual worm bags you can buy are very stiff and if the baits get the least bit out of line in the bag things like claws and tails will get bent and kinked up. I put all my baits for personal use in snack bags, sandwich bags, or quart bags. They also take up waaaaay less room in a tackle box/bag. May not be the best for selling baits but most of my customers don't care.

• Like 1

I found the longer the baits air cure the more resistant they are to this. 4 weeks hanging. Altrrnative, more cost is the glad like food containers. See through, stackable, easy shipping, helps with the bending. Still need to package well. Shippibg fresh new born baits with scent oil is also easier. Just a rec.

From my personal experiences when it comes to plastic memory...some brands are much worse than others. The best plastic I have found that has the least memory issue is Ozark and what ever Don Iovino is using. About ten years ago I did a comparison (posted here on T.U.) of 6 plastisol manufactures. That test consisted of raw plastic settling, clarity, shore, water absorption, memory, Max temp before scorching, viscosity verses temp, buoyancy and strength. All tests were done being as controlled as possible, using Tentalometers, Durometers and optical sensors.  I will look and see if I still have the white papers, pie charts and graphs......that info is on one of my old computers some where.

• Like 1

Intresting, I like bait junkys plastic so far, seems to be easy to work with and baits have good action, I guess time will tell how the memory is with it, I just bought a gallon about a month ago and I'm almost out already, prolly should have got 2 gallons but the wife gives me a hard time about just one lol.

From my personal experiences when it comes to plastic memory...some brands are much worse than others. The best plastic I have found that has the least memory issue is Ozark and what ever Don Iovino is using. About ten years ago I did a comparison (posted here on T.U.) of 6 plastisol manufactures. That test consisted of raw plastic settling, clarity, shore, water absorption, memory, Max temp before scorching, viscosity verses temp, buoyancy and strength. All tests were done being as controlled as possible, using Tentalometers, Durometers and optical sensors.  I will look and see if I still have the white papers, pie charts and graphs......that info is on one of my old computers some where.