bucknuckle

Other Hooks For Do-It Molds?

I have recently bought a Do-it mold ( stl-8s-a ) I see that it only takes Mustad 32833 jig hooks. Does anyone know if there are other brand hooks that will fit into this jig mold, like the Matzuo sickle hooks or the Eagle claw 570?

I have done some modification the the eye of this mold, I opened the area up with an endmill to accommodate a larger hook in the 1/16 and 1/32 slot and it works great. I was just curious if anyone has been down this road before and tried different hooks. Seems like alot of places I look are out of stock on certain mustad 32833 hooks. Thank you for your time

I was going there but Fatman beat me to the punch.

But since you asked here are some that will fit. 

Weather they will work without lead going where it should not is another question.

None of these hooks sits perfectly but the mold did close when they were in the mold.

Sohumi 103 will fit.  It does not come in a size 10 but the size 8 will fit in the cavity that calls for a size 10.

Eagle Claw 570 will fit. 

Mustad 32756 will fit.  It does not come in a size 10 and the size 8 will not fit in the cavity that calls for a size 10.

Again, this mold was not designed for these hook so your end result may not be what you want.

Some of the hooks slipped out of place while I was taking the pics below.

3468.jpg

Edited by JBarlow
  • Like 1

The is wire diameter size. Larger wire diameter and the mold won't close. Smaller diameter and the lead may seep down the hook. If wire diameter is close you may be ok.

That is one of the nice things about Barlow's is they list a comparison wire diameter on most hooks to help you search. Thanks for that John.

• Like 2