Bud

how to glue plastic baits

Hi Bud,

The solvent they're recommending is MEK methyl ethyl ketone.

Its found in your local hardware stores & home imp. stores.

Theres companies out that make specialized adhesives for SP baits, but most people find super glue used sparingly works pretty well.

I haven't tried that MEK yet mostly because I do all my work indoors. I was using Testors glue with varying results. I ran into problems with the bill area on medium divers and problems everywhere on the really deep divers. I did try Plastic Weld by Devcon with great results on the bodies. Only problem there is making sure the beads inside don't stick the the glue! Real hard to get them unstuck. The Plastic Weld will hold that bait together though.

Going to try the MEK when I get to NC, I have a garage there!

Whoa, I totally misread your post.

I thought you were looking to glue SOFT plastic baits together :oops: Super glue will still work but fogs up a clear body & is a little brittle for my tastes. Shoot I'd use the same epoxy you intend to clearcoat with, but MEK will be touchy because it will actually "melt" the bait if not applied correctly.

Hey Spo, is the plastic weld, clear?

Also just a note, MEK is nasty stuff, I use it alot in the finishing shop I work at & you gotta protect yourself. long term exposure can "sensitize" you to it, sorta like developing a bad allergy to it. protect your lungs & skin in particular cause it soaks right into your system.

Red, the Plastic Weld doesn't dry clear. It looks a little cloudy on the seams, which isn't much of a problem except on the bill. If you get a good, even coat with it on the bill seam it just looks a little murky. Any bubbles at all make it looks like doo doo though.

When I get my work station set up in my new house I plan on trying MEK. I will post my results with it.