Leatherhead

Clear Coating Spinnerbaits

Hello All. Ive started making my own spinnerbaits and have a question. When I paint the heads, I first powder coat them then I go back the next day and air brush my detail using createx water baser paint. I let that dry over night then I clear coat with clear finger nail polish. What i have noticed is that the clear fingernail polish wrinkles my paint. What should I be doing ? Thanks for any advice.

You can even skip the powder coat.. Ive been brushing water based paints directly on worm weights, then coating with thinned epoxy (Devcon 2 ton + denatured alcohol)... Mix a little glitter in the epoxy, looks quite nice if i do say!

JRammit, is there a certain ratio to mix the devcon and denatured alcohol, and do you brush that on.

JRammit, is there a certain ratio to mix the devcon and denatured alcohol, and do you brush that on.

I dont measure, i just mix in a few drops at a time til its the consistency i want... MAKE SURE you mix the 2 parts well before adding the alcohol

And yes, you brush it on.. It would not get along well with an airbrush!

In my shop, D2T is like franks red hot sauce... I put that sh*t on everything!

• Like 4

I dont know all the chemical details, but from my experience, if it stinks it eats paint.. Polyurethane, nail polish, laquer ect..

Epoxy doesnt stink, so it doesnt eat paint.. Im sure someone has a better exolaination than that

As for the bubbles, if you stir vigorously round and round, you will have alot of bubbles... If you "fold mix" (for lack of a better term"), you will have less bubbles... The brush usually gets rid of all the bubbles durring application

I wouldn't, just be sure to heat set each color with the hairdryer.  Wait a day to clear if you want to ensure the paint is completely dry, but not required when using the heat set.

Thanks for the help, so all I have to do is heat set it , give it a day to cure , and i could fish it? Im still learning about paints and thought that it would basically wash off in water if it wasnt clear coated.

I dont know all the chemical details, but from my experience, if it stinks it eats paint.. Polyurethane, nail polish, laquer ect..

Guess i've been lucky.I use Sally Hansons Hard As Nails to paint head & eyes then wait until the next day & put a good heavy coat of clear hard as nails on & have never had a problem as far as spinnerbaits go. lol

Thanks for the help, so all I have to do is heat set it , give it a day to cure , and i could fish it? Im still learning about paints and thought that it would basically wash off in water if it wasnt clear coated.

You can't fish the create waterbased paint without a topcoat.  Paint, heat set, top coat, let cure at least 24 hours (I wait 72) then fish.

I've used Createx paints to put a pattern on lead head spinner baits with great results.  Base coat with opaque white then paint whatever pattern you want.  Heat setting is necessary with Airbrush colors, not so much with Wicked colors.  I use Devcon epoxy thinned down with denatured alcohol to clear coat the head.  Be sure to mix the two part epoxy well before adding denatured alcohol.  I use a disposable plastic shot cup for the mix and an an eyedropper to add alcohol to the mix then stir it in thoroughly.  As for the bubbles, just cup your hand over the shot cup and exhale into it a few times.  Just like magic the bubbles will rise to the surface and disappear.  Apply the epoxy sparingly so as to avoid blobs on the hook, hook eye or wire.  An LED desk lamp will show any voids in the epoxy when held at angles to the light.  I normally put the lure on a turner for about 15 minutes then once the epoxy is levelled and set, hang the lure in a dehydrator at about 95 -105 degrees for 30-45 minutes.  Comes out hard as a nail and looking good.  I'm sure there are other methods that work just as well...just sayin' this one works for me.  Keep thinking good thoughts!

Edited by BoisArc
  • Like 1

I've used Createx paints to put a pattern on lead head spinner baits with great results.  Base coat with opaque white then paint whatever pattern you want.  Heat setting is necessary with Airbrush colors, not so much with Wicked colors.  I use Devcon epoxy thinned down with denatured alcohol to clear coat the head.  Be sure to mix the two part epoxy well before adding denatured alcohol.  I use a disposable plastic shot cup for the mix and an an eyedropper to add alcohol to the mix then stir it in thoroughly.  As for the bubbles, just cup your hand over the shot cup and exhale into it a few times.  Just like magic the bubbles will rise to the surface and disappear.  Apply the epoxy sparingly so as to avoid blobs on the hook, hook eye or wire.  An LED desk lamp will show any voids in the epoxy when held at angles to the light.  I normally put the lure on a turner for about 15 minutes then once the epoxy is levelled and set, hang the lure in a dehydrator at about 95 -105 degrees for 30-45 minutes.  Comes out hard as a nail and looking good.  I'm sure there are other methods that work just as well...just sayin' this one works for me.  Keep thinking good thoughts!

thanks for the great info