cope102

Painting Jigs With Illusion Powder Paint From Fishingskirts.com

I just got fishingskirts.com illusion powder paints and naturally having a hard time to get anyone to help me out @ fishingskirts so thought I would ask here. I am not having real good luck getting the illusion to show up. I have followed their directions they sent me but, not having the greatest luck... Back jig @ 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes then dip in the foundation bake again for 10-15 minutes then dip in the color you choose and then bake again for another 10 minutes is what its directed on how to do and what i have been doing. Has anyone had any experience with with their illuison powder paints? or have any advice or tips to share? thanks you for any help! 

The best way for this to work is not to use a fluid bed, if you are using one stop, that paint doesn't work with the bed. Now that I got that out of the way, the foundation is simply silver vein paint, Barlows Tackle sells it so you don't need to pay the high price of fishing skirts and the over coat is simply a candy color, that is it. You heat your jig and dip in the paint, I find a wide shallow bowl is the best to put the paint in, quickly swish in the paint and then go to your next jig. When you are done, preheat your oven to 350 and put you jigs in for 10 minutes and then take out and let them cool off completely, I usually wait 45 minutes or so. When they are cool you will heat the jig up and this is the important part, you will dip in the candy color, but it is best to use a fluid bed for this step and it also works better if you cut the candy color paint with clear powder, because I'll bet what is happening to you is the over coat or candy color makes the jig too dark that the lines don't show. The reason is you have to be careful adding the candy color, the easiest way is to cut the candy color with clear, I'd go with 3 parts of color to 1 part clear, if you don't have a fluid bed to put the color on simply put the over coat or candy color in a wide shallow bowl and mix the candy and clear in a 50/50 mix, the reason is the clear will keep you from getting the color too dark. If you don't have a fluid bed or clear powder you can take a small artist paint brush like the disposable ones sold at hobby stores or walmart for like a buck, take the paint brush and dip it in the candy color and tap the brush over the jig so the paint falls on it, this will let you control how much paint to put on. I apologize for the long process but it has been discussed here several times, it isn't as easy as fishing skirts makes it sound, you need to get a good base and then the candy color needs to go on light enough for the veins to show through but heavy enough to give it color. Another thing is the jig size, I've done this with 1/8oz jigs and it works but the larger the jig the better the results, and that is just because you get larger veins on larger jigs, I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you. There will also be other here to help, I can post links because my browser doesn't work with this site too well so someone will be along to post a link to pictures and instructions that will be easier to understand. BTW, Welcome to TU!!!!!!

• Like 1

i apologize for taking so long to respond dont get online that much. I appreciate both of your comments and advice! Greatly appreciated!! i went to barlows and go their vein foundation as you said much cheaper then fs! i put the foundation in fluid bed then when at wal-mart one day bought several wide bodied plastic ware type bowls i cant remember the brand name but im sure you understand and i put each of my actual colors in them. ive been heating in oved @ 425 for 10 minutes then dipping in bed for the foundation then heating again for 10 minutes then using brush as you suggested small and have experimented tapping brush letting it drop on the jig and have had much better success! still have a little tweaking and tunning to do to make them better but its came a long way. and i want to thank you both for your comments and advice!