CraigC

Problem With Foil Wrap Peeling/wrinkling

Hi guys, I hope someone can tell me why a foil wrap of mine has peeled /wrinkled under the epoxy.

I’m relatively new to bait building. My current process is to print the pattern on tissue paper, glue that to aluminium foil, varnish to waterproof the ink and then wrap that onto the sealed wood. Lastly 3 coats of epoxy.

I use a glue called Bulcotan (used in commercial boat building) for the seal, spray contact adhesive for the laminating and an epoxy I get from a local surfboard maker.

It seems to be working well and holding up to plenty of fishing but I have 2 baits (done at the same time) where the foil has wrinkled under the epoxy. Almost like the bait has shrunk.

For me its not a big deal because the bass won't notice but I have been asked to make some baits for other people and I would have for one of those baits that have a failure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the wrinkle

Wrinkle.jpeg

After it was made

Undertaker 130.jpg

Wrinkle.jpeg

Undertaker 130.jpg

Wrinkle.jpeg

Undertaker 130.jpg

Wrinkle.jpeg

Undertaker 130.jpg

Wrinkle.jpeg

Undertaker 130.jpg

Wrinkle.jpeg

Undertaker 130.jpg

Wrinkle.jpeg

Undertaker 130.jpg

Wrinkle.jpeg

Undertaker 130.jpg

post-48012-0-17586800-1458890509_thumb.jpeg

post-48012-0-46694500-1458890532_thumb.jpg

Craig--could be that you are not allowing enough time for the glue/ glues to dry, a lot of glues shrink as they dry which puts a lot of tension on the material used, OR because it is now sealed with epoxy it is still ''gassing off'' which can cause bubbles to form under a top coat. Everything has to be dry before sealing it up !!

Hope this helps.

Pete

• Like 2

Craig--could be that you are not allowing enough time for the glue/ glues to dry, a lot of glues shrink as they dry which puts a lot of tension on the material used, OR because it is now sealed with epoxy it is still ''gassing off'' which can cause bubbles to form under a top coat. Everything has to be dry before sealing it up !!

Hope this helps.

Pete

Possibly Pete, I am very impatient but learning to slow down. Thanks