SW Lures

Hardest Scheme To Paint

I read a comment made by a member and got to thinking. Hard to believe I know.

For a little fun here goes, What is the hardest scheme for you to paint? With that asked, what is the must productive scheme you do?

For me the hardest is a real color of a craw that's common around here. A brownish red back with green appearing on the sides near the belly. The belly to me is cream color.

The most productive is a dark green tiger with a brown belly mixed from pearl black and a pearl red. The back is a black with a dusting of pineapple pearl. This gives the look of a dark shiny green. The sides are a changing green, several transparent greens. Mainly a moderate shade of green. Especially productive this time of the year with a stained water. Farm land run off from the fields.

I thought this would be fun topic to chat about,

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

Hardest pattern for me... All of them (ha ha!).... Im always proud of my lures until i get the paint brush out

But i dont give up easy... Wasted alot of perfectly good cardboard practicing, finally making progress

I would like to get a good bluegill pattern down... Those things are all over where i fish!

• Like 1

For me the Pumpkinseed Bream is by far the most difficult to paint. All the dots, spots and streaks of color combine to make a prettycomplex pattern. There are huge numbers of shad in my area lakes so the most productive scheme is shad on silver foil. Goes something like this: white belly, grey upper sides, blue/green/copper back, yellow along the lateral line, pinkish lower gills, gold upper gills and eye sockets, flat black kill dot, light mist of burnt orange on the throat. Very effective during the summer and early fall months when the shad school up.

I struggle with crawdad patterns. Still haven't done one I like.

And oddly enough, sexy shad is difficult for me. My idea of what I want is so narrow that it's never good enough.

Bluegills, on the other hand, I love my results. It's basically "let's see what this looks like." They're all different and unique.

To me it seems like hard paint jobs are easy and easy paint jobs are hard.  I can paint a great looking rainbow trout and always seem to get a nice job on a blue gill pattern (haven't tried pumkinseed thou).  Then I try a shad pattern and I am on about my seventh generation shad pattern and still not satisfied.  Then a friend wanted me to paint a glide bait like the Lucky Craft Ghost Minnow.  I said no problem I will have it for you in a couple days.  Now, I have scrubbed off my 6th attempt and just can't get a satisfactory job done on it.  About to give up on it and move on.  I'm probably running into the same problems the previous post had with sexy shad.  Looks easy paints hard, looks hard paints easy.

Barry

I have been away for few days and I have not had a chance to post until now. I have to say, you people are right about the bluegills in general. I’m going to give a shoot at a Bluegill design and paint it soon. The manufactures bluegill blanks are ok but I just want to give it a go.

I am a naturelist at painting as I have said in the past. But I do like to go “abstract" painting at times. I guess thats what you call it. But that Heart Attack I like it and the others are interesting to Kevin, very nice work :worship: . LOL, for me I call when I go abstract, “I’m going crazy, having fun”. I like looking at the “art work” of all baits, from beginners to advance paintings. Some will make you smile and some will make you go WOW.

My style to me is not necessarily the way to go, it’s just something I like to do. I do appreciate a nice bit of work no matter what level of the painter it is or what type it is. Thats why I started this thread.

Being a naturalist in painting, adding the designing of the baits has added a new level of getting the natural look I want, that’s why I came to TU. I enjoy every day when I get to work on a lure now. Yeah I know I got the BUG!  :yay:

Anyways I’m heading out in a few days and put my work to the test. Water is right, weather should be good to great (some rain is ok). I will give these lures that I made a good run thru. The gizzard is the primary one, this is the one I came here to design. The other one is a new design I made. Haven’t never seen one quite like it before. I hope to catch a nice fish on it, I’ll post the gizzard with the fish if I do. Keep up the posts, I’ll may stop in at times, thanks.

Cheers and take care,  :tipsy: By the way I’m the one on the right! At least in a day or two.

Dale

• Like 1

The hardest for me is a realistic Crappie. A lot of painters share my frustration with that color scheme. There's just something about the green that's near impossible to get right. It always looks toyish or more of a baby bass color. My most recent crappie for a customer didn't look right to me, but He loved it and that's what matters. I kept it simple and used black,white,pearl white and gold pearls on fins, gill area and misted it on the back.

Hey Riverrotter

What Little Tricks Are You Talking About , Could You Please Share.

Thanks Mike

what was ya trying to make. I'll try to help ya out. may have to pm me. I don't think we're supposed to oust pics for reference here are we?

Hey Riverrotter

What Little Tricks Are You Talking About , Could You Please Share.

Thanks Mike

what was ya trying to make. I'll try to help ya out. may have to pm me. I don't think we're supposed to oust pics for reference here are we?

I don't think we're supposed to oust pics for reference here are we?

Actually that's what pics are supposed to be used for in the forums..... A picture says a thousand words, as long as it doesnt say "what do yall think of this" 166.66666667 times.... Its fine here

My scheme of a shad turned out great. The rock fish liked the scheme also. The shading was the issue. Now I have to work on the way the bait does while trolling. Someone wrote in a thread that cranking a bait in is different then trolling.

He/She was exactly correct! Lesson learnt.

Dale