fishnart

Baits Turning Red...pics

Heres a pic of a few baits that have turned pink. All of these baits were a white or pearl color but as you can see have turned very pink. On some baits its only in a certain area. And this hasn't happened to anyone? Gosh what the HECK  is it. I used to use Lacquer thinner to thin my epoxy, then used alcohol.

20160326_151835_resized.jpg

post-22847-0-81569700-1459370043_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishnart

Chemistry.....   :eek:

Epoxies utilize "amines" for hardners typically.    I am not for sure how stringent they are on purity of these hardners and may have various other amines in low quantities and thus the end product react differently from batch to batch.  They can react in the presence of water and metal containers.  Mixing in metal containers (bottom of aluminum cans) and thinning with products that contain water (isopropyl alcohol, acetone, etc.. or even high humidity) may also be detrimental.  It is also more prone to rear its effects in thicker coats. Your pictures appear to show the color more noticeable in those thicker areas (rear hook hanger), belly of baits, etc...

I managed to get pink color years ago when using Devcon 30 minute thinned with paint thinner and a few times with isopropyl alcohol when mixed on the underside of an aluminum can but only thinned to seal molds.

I've had D2T turn pink at times.  

I always thin with denatured alcohol after both parts are completely mixed.  

I really noticed on the underside of some deep divers I made, when I had used D2T to coat and reinforce the line tie wire as it passed under the bill and entered the lure body.

I have't used epoxy to clear coat a lure in a long time, so I can't add anything useful on that score.

Seems I read something about lacquer thinners having something to do with this. I have used denatured alcohol to thin epoxy (Bob Smith 30 minute) for quite a few years now and have never had this problem. Have you tried using denatured alcohol to thin your epoxy? It might be the quickest and easiest solution.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I always mix in the small plastic cups. Yeah I started using the  alcohol after a while. Trouble is, I didn't note which baits I did with alcohol vs laquer thinner. I use the new stuff now anyways but this issue still drives me crazy. One other thing to note is I had found some 30 min epoxy in a hobby store. It wasn't Devcon even though it might have been only someone put it in another bottle. I don't remember the brand right now but I've even considered that it had something to do with this off brand???? And whats even crazier is that I don't think I do anything different than you guys have done at some point, those that use Devcon, and it hasn't happened you. And it's happened to a good many of my baits...I am just so puzzled. Thanks for all of your input