MarkSpolarich

Epoxying Topwater Poppers

Just depends on how you set it up. At the time I didn't have a lathe so bought wooden spools (thread) or dowels.  I drilled a holes in the dowel sections and then took a small triangle file and made the holes square.  I slide the spools down the shaft of the rotisserie and then use a set screw to secure it.  I have a series of holes drilled in the spools and wooden dowels with alligator clips on the end.  Never had one slide out after more than 10 years.  I glue them in most of the time now just to be safe.  

DSC_0249_zpscde124e9.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Mark, I use pin vises from knives as well. I used some epoxy to glue on Super magnets from home Depot, they fit the bottom of a heavy duty Friskas knife exactly. I then use any metal or decking plates (4 bucks at depot) and place them anywhere. I put sockets into pvc plumbing attachments and slid it on a rotisserie, handles fit right in. The system is flawless and works perfectly. I do 30 to 50 baits this way every week. Never an issue. I'll add pic's if I figure out how to!

I just use a turner made for fly fishing flies. http://www.castersonlineflyshop.com/fly-furniture-rotary-fly-dryer/

I'm surprised more lure makers don't just use this one. Hard to beat it for $50. Mine's been going for over 5 years now, used for keeping the 2 part epoxy from sagging on fly fishing poppers for bass. 

I have never had one of the sticks or handles fall out. On anything over 5" I use 2 or more brush handles with alligator clips. But I'm not sure whether I really need to. The amount of grip on the clips to the lure is of greater concern. Note the placement of the foam on the binder clips is on the same side as the stick. This pushes the lip against the far side of the clip - holding the lure at an angle. This may help it hold in the foam, but the main reason I do it is so the lure doesn't stick out as far. I marked the position of the cuts in the foam and use the same ones over and over again to no ill effect. If the foam ever does give up the ghost, it takes 23 minutes to replace. 3 minutes to make the repair, and 20 minutes drying time. I attached my sexy ghost shad, sexy french pearl, and atomic pumpkinseed to show how they work.

lure holders 001.JPG

lure holders 003.JPG

lure holders 001.JPG

lure holders 003.JPG

lure holders 001.JPG

lure holders 003.JPG

lure holders 001.JPG

lure holders 003.JPG

lure holders 001.JPG

lure holders 003.JPG

lure holders 001.JPG

lure holders 003.JPG

lure holders 001.JPG

lure holders 003.JPG

lure holders 001.JPG

lure holders 003.JPG

post-49113-0-12576900-1466042365_thumb.jpg

post-49113-0-47614500-1466042379_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guys,E

Excuse my ignorance. Would the solution also be to use MCU? Just dip and hang to dry? I have only ever used epoxy so I don't know which is better. 

AND FrogAddict?

LOL have you dropped a freshly epoxied topwater lure onto a shag carpet??? What a mess! Brings a new meaning to "walking the dog!" with all that hair  :lolhuh:  :lolhuh:  :lolhuh: