CollinW22

Pop Into Silicone?

Hey everybody, new to the site, so if this has been discussed shoot me the link.

My question is, can POP be poured into a Silicone mold to create a master for another mold?

The original master was made out of clay, and I still have it, but I need more replicas to make a multi-cavity mold. Right now I'm one at a time'n it and it's taking forever. Is there a better solution? Any help would be appreciated.

Forgot to mention, the next mold will be made out of Alumilite High Strength.

Edited by CollinW22

I would say it depends on the mold.  It won't hurt the mold to try it.

If it comes out of the mold okay, you're in good shape.  A release agent, like spray PAM, might help.

Be sure you really dry out the POP (oven set at 170 for half an hour with the door ajar) before you try and remove it from the mold.

You might even make the POP stronger by mixing in a little white carpenter's glue.

Over complicating things.....just use left over soft plastic.....easy, sets up quick and will give you a very forgiving master to mold.   

I have used this method to cast molds in plaster of paris, RTV, and Durham's rock puddy.  You can have a dozen molds not problems the following morning if you have enough scrap plastic.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

Olive oil it is Vodkaman, that's what use already.

Travis, I pondered doing that but I want to suspend the bait in the mold, and I think a soft master will make this difficult. Plus I want a hard copy so I can make modifications and different variations of it.

If you want something you can carve on or alter after it's been poured, POP isn't your best choice.  Durham's Rock Hard Putty, or something similar that is stronger than POP, might be a better choice.

I haven't used Durhams since the early 70's, and never for making mold masters, so someone who has used it more recently will certainly know more about using it than I.

If you want something you can carve on or alter after it's been poured, POP isn't your best choice. Durham's Rock Hard Putty, or something similar that is stronger than POP, might be a better choice.

I haven't used Durhams since the early 70's, and never for making mold masters, so someone who has used it more recently will certainly know more about using it than I.

It sands and cuts well, ive never tried shaping it, but it can be bad about bubbles.... In a mold, you can scrape the bubbles off the surface... But if carving, i think you would find bubbles all the way through

Oh... And never cut semi-wet Durhams on a band saw... That was a mess!

• Like 1