Darkman

New To Fly Fishing And Tying

I'm going to give fly fishing a fair shake, I have so much fun building and making my own baits that I want to tie my own flys as well, learned a few already. I will target Land lock striped bass and both large and small mouth bass.

What flys would best represent a jerkbaits, not so much which ones but what style and or patterns would be best. I plan on largemouth and small mouth for these. Same fir striped bass,

Please

Also what size hooks should I use and any hook brand recommend,

Thank you

Ps I have an 8 weight rod so far and next plan on a 5 or 6 for surf fishing

Hey Erick, good for you. Fly fishing and tying is a lot of fun. My wife and I do a lot of topwater work for both large and smallmouth. For someone like you that has a lure building background, the Wapsi Perfect poppers may be a good fit. The TCS hard body ones in size 2 and 4 make nice flies...so do the pencil poppers. You can be as elaborate as you like. I do a lot of deer hair work as well...and these are probably more effective, but are harder to make. Clouser's are a great subsurface fly, and so are many synthetic minnow patterns. Wooly Buggers are good too. We were out today and got a bunch of bass and panfish. Good luck and cheers, Ed