Les Young

Favorite Injector

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the help with the unbelievable anout of questions I've asked. Think I'd be better off going to injection for most of my stuff. I'll still hand pour some. But from what you guys say it's the best for creature baits & things like that.

• Like 1

If I'm just making single color baits I much prefer my Do-It injector. I like the non locking tip. It is much faster to deal with and I dont know why so many people have an issue shooting the end off into their plastic. Also the thin walls cool a lot faster than the thick walled bass tackle injectors which I feel like is a big plus.

I spoke to Baitjunkys about their injector and they said they are still trying to catch up but will start producing them soon. Not sure what that means. I did buy a Basstackle 9 oz version and am very happy with it. I insulated it with foam insulation tape and it seems to keep the heat in but ....... I'm not able to warm it up on my electric griddle next to my molds. I am very new at this so I am still trying to find my way. I really appreciate all of the guidance I get from these forums.

I really like my Do-it injectors too. I don't really care for the locking pins either. I can't remember the last time I pushed the tip out without doing it on purpose. It's not like they just fall out.

That's the big selling point for the other injectors and I just don't get it??? I have never once had it pop off and the Do-It injectors are much more fluid/smooth than my bass tackle ones. And I like that they will cool off quicker in between shoots. I dunno why anyone heats their injector prior to injecting anyways although I do heat when I'm dual injecting because those bass tackle injectors are a lot of metal to get warm. I haven't seen a need for heating my Do-It injectors yet in my bait making but I'm mostly just a hobbyist that sells some on the side so maybe I am missing something??

In your example, gloves and proper saftey equipment are your seatbelt. If you're wearing saftey equipment and not being dumb you will never have a problem with the Do-It injectors....and I'm plenty dumb so if I can do it safely surely anybody else can. If you're not wearing proper saftey equipment you are just begging for an injury to begin with.

The only thing I heat is my blending block. I have the Do-it duel injector. And I always have gloves and long sleeves on so I guess I'm not worried about shooting the tip off and burning myself. I don't have to push on it so hard to get plastic to come out that i would accidently pop the tips off. I heat my plastic in a Pyrex cup with no lid. Do the rest of you guys have locking lids on your Pyrex cups too, so you can spill them? I've spilled out of the cup way more than out of the injector.

• Like 1

Get the locking tip and if you don't want to use it don't. I had the original twinjector without the locking tips and it was my idea to use it. When I tried to get the rest of the plastic out of the twinjector both tips went into the cups. I machined out the first ones and sent Basstackle a picture. Even he saw the advantage of it and incorporated it on all of his injectors. By the way the price for the injector did not go up but the labor to make one did. So it was not a cost thing. Basstckles injectors are like tanks and will take a beating and still work for years. If a locking tip is some kinda marketing thing then why does most everyone have them? It's just safer that's why. Look on you tube and you will see some videos of guys loosing the tips in hot plastic and laugh but something as simple as a pin can stop that from happening. So if you don't like the pins blame me cause I started it years ago.

As for a safety belt for my Pyrex I do it's a high sided griddle so if I spill it stays inside.

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

FWIW

My now hobby was my main income producer for many, many years. I treat my now hobby as if it were still my main income producer....and ya know what....if the safety inspector were to show up and saw me running a business in a dangerous fashion (using a pressurized unit, filled with 300+ degree high viscosity oil based fluid and a non-locking nozzle) OMG he shut me down in a blink.....and would ask me what the hell are you thinking!!! Like I have said many times over the past 10+ years of being a member here on T.U. "I see waaaay to many take this hobby in a lackadaisical manner"

Edited by camrynekai

It's amazing... 

I see guys complaining that the BT injectors are too thick and too hard to heat up, then they praise the do-it injectors because they cool off so quickly  LOL.  I have never had to preheat my molds or injectors (although I don't shoot baits in temps lower than 35 degrees) and have found that the BT injectors warm up after 2 or 3 shots and stay nice and warm (because of the thick material).  Maybe someone could explain to me why they think the locking tip is a bad thing?  :?

Edited by bryanmc
  • Like 2

It's amazing...

I see guys complaining that the BT injectors are too thick and too hard to heat up, then they praise the do-it injectors because they cool off so quickly LOL. I have never had to preheat my molds or injectors (although I don't shoot baits in temps lower than 35 degrees) and have found that the BT injectors warm up after 2 or 3 shots and stay nice and warm (because of the thick material). Maybe someone could explain to me why they think the locking tip is a bad thing? :?

Well I wasn't complaining that they were to thick, just stating a fact. When using the BT dual injector if you don't pre heat the injectors and blending block the plastic will freeze up somewhere before you get anywhere close to 6oz of plastic shot on the first shoot(this is also a slower process i.e. can't inject as fast), after that they are fine but this is just my experience. Yes, I like the fact that the Do-It injectors heat AND cool faster, just something I prefer.

I also never said the locking tip is a bad thing. The locking tip is almost a necessity when using the dual injector because unless you have big hands (which I don't) it's hard to solidly hold the end of both injectors. I have two each of the Do-It 4oz and Bass Tackle 3oz injectors and when shooting solid colors the BT injectors never get used. I just prefer it, I don't have to check and make sure the pin is properly secured, I know what I'm working with and it just simply isn't a problem or saftey issue if used properly. Wearing the proper saftey equipment is a much bigger deal that having a locking tip on the injector, that is just a fact.

I understand I'm in the minority since I prefer the non locking tip for most applications. And obviously that makes me an idiot, uncaring about saftey, and lackadaisical about the hobby. I just was sharing my personal opinions on what I've experienced and my personal preferences so someone could hear an honest review of another option.

I understand I'm in the minority since I prefer the non locking tip for most applications. And obviously that makes me an idiot, uncaring about saftey, and lackadaisical about the hobby. I just was sharing my personal opinions on what I've experienced and my personal preferences so someone could hear an honest review of another option.

I wouldn't say your the minority nor an idiot FATFLATTIE.  I'm just sharing my personal opinions influenced by the State of N.Y. , State Farm insurance and also as  a witness to a very bad incident involving another shop. I am in no way pointing any fingers, just want to make sure that the lesser experienced people totally understand how dangerous this hobby can be. Sometimes Its the small things that lead to skin-graphs :(

I wouldn't say your the minority nor an idiot FATFLATTIE. I'm just sharing my personal opinions influenced by the State of N.Y. , State Farm insurance and also as a witness to a very bad incident involving another shop. I am in no way pointing any fingers, just want to make sure that the lesser experienced people totally understand how dangerous this hobby can be. Sometimes Its the small things that lead to skin-graphs :(

I hear ya man and I totally agree. It's so much more dangerous than some people realize or want to believe. It really bothers me to see a video where someone (even unattended children) are doing this with no gloves much less any other saftey gear.

• Like 1

I hear ya man and I totally agree. It's so much more dangerous than some people realize or want to believe. It really bothers me to see a video where someone (even unattended children) are doing this with no gloves much less any other saftey gear.

I saw that video as well. It was something like two sisters and a brother? Hell, if I remember right added all together they were not 30 years old.  Any rule of thumb on safety....it WAS broken in that video.