CNC Molds N Stuff

Silicone Cups

Since so many people seem to like the silicone measuring cups now over Pyrex or Anchor cups I thought I'ld take a look around and see what is available.  Looks like the 4 cup Norpro is the most affordable with any size to it, but the flex limits you to working with about two cups of plastic at a time to use them somewhat safely.  Well, as safely as you can with 300F+ plastic anyway.  Is that just being over cautious on my part? 

So what do you guys do if you want to do a little bigger batch?  Use multiple cups at a time?  Or do you just not do larger batches?  One of my favorite soft plastic lures is made in an 18 cavity mold, and if I limited myself to 2 cups (16 ounces) I would only be able to shoot it one time before having to atleast do a sprue and plug remelt.  With 4 cups I can just barely shoot it three times.  4 with one remelt of all plugs and sprues. 

I am not criticizing.  Just asking. 

I have to be honest.  The flexible cups scare me a little.  The collapsible ones with the hard plastic ring would scare me even worse.  Imagine if it collapsed with full load of plastic.  LOL. 

Anyway, is that all there is, or is there something better? 

Edited by Bob La Londe

I've been wondering how a pampered chef microwavable pot would work . I've been eyeballing my wifes pot (i don't dare touch) that's been boiling carrots etc in the micro for years now , and it's as intact as it was new . I don't know what type of plastic it is but it's tough stuff and very similar to delrin . I know that delrin can easily handle the heat because I made my first injector out of it and I also used it for the plunger on one of my aluminum injectors as well

Has anyone tried it yet ? Seems to me to be a safer choice than the silicone cups and I think it'll burn before it ever melts

Hey Bob in my opinion silicone cups are better for handpouring.

I still use my pyrex cups for my injector. When i am using my duel

Injector the cups are too tall. So they only work when u have alot

Of plastic. And when u are close to the bottom the suction to the bottom

Of the cup.

I don't do this, because I don't do that much pouring, but finding a shallow microwavable pan that will hold several silicone cups would make the flexible silicone much easier to handle safely, like putting your turkey rack on a metal backing pan when you put it in the oven.  I'd want something with a shallow lip, so there's no chance for the cups to slide off.

If I wanted to heat more than a half a silicone cup at a time, that's what I would do, because the silicone is slippery, even when I grab the lip and bend it so it's easier to handle.